Re: mail problem

From: Bill Thompson (bill.thompson_at_GOODYEAR.COM)
Date: 07/02/03

    Date:         Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:14:17 -0400
    To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU

    Barry,

    I'm sorry if you were offended by my responce however there is no excuse
    for not testing this. You don't need to know anything about "augusta
    china@test.com", just make up an address. I tested both of these solutions
    in about 30 seconds...

    >mail -s "test" "dummy bill.thompson"@goodyear.com </etc/group
    dummy... User unknown
    /root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter

    mail -s "test" "<dummy a327589@goodyear.com>" </etc/group
    <dummy... There is a missing '<' character
    <dummy... User unknown
    bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
    <dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
    bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
    <dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
    <dummy... There is a missing '<' character
    bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
    bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.
    /root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter
    <dummy, bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '<' character
    bill.thompson@goodyear.com>... There is a missing '>' character.

    As you can see the results are very valid. Neither works!

    Bill Thompson
    Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
    The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.

    Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
    May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
    Tire & Rubber Company.

    AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2