Re: AIX and 2038?

From: Wesley Joyce (wjoyce_at_UVI.EDU)
Date: 01/05/04

    Date:         Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:02:54 -0400
    To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU

    Sounds like the easiest fix would be to change UNIXs internal DOB.

    ;)

    At 08:21 AM 1/5/2004, you wrote:

    >Doesn't matter whether it's truly a 64 bit machine or not. The issue lies
    >within the C code. The variable that holds the time is declared as a 32 bit
    >variable. The fix is to change the variable to a 64 bit (or larger) and
    >re-compile, but this would also require changing all the programs that
    >access the time variable and recompiling them as well!
    >
    >Think of all the programs that access the system time - not only Unix
    >commands such as ls, date, etc. but almost every application program as
    >well - SAP, Oracle, etc. All of these programs expect time to be a 32 bit
    >variable. If you were to suddenly change that the results could be
    >catastrophic!
    >
    >Bill Thompson
    >Sr UNIX Systems Administrator
    >The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
    >
    >Contains Confidential and/or Proprietary Information
    >May Not Be Copied or Disseminated Without Express Consent of The Goodyear
    >Tire & Rubber Company.
    >
    >AIX-L Archives: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=aix-l&r=1&w=2

    ---

    • RE: Unix/VMS programming environment, was: Re: If OVMS is killed by HP.... by HP.... by HP..
      ... Unix works on a wide range of device types; ... < Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. ... < Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: backup
      ... >I think a Unix man was in the room when they were choosing the wording... ... >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: Problems with 7.3 and 164LX
      ... >>and I believe I have the same firmware in both, ... >>unix box ... >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Crashing Unix
      ... matter how powerful the system is .. ... >> university, Did he say crash Unix, or crash a program, collect the ... >>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
      (comp.security.unix)
    • Re: request for ans ANSWERS
      ... Unix 'vi' was better, but won't work on DOS... ... Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...