Local Host name resolution

Admins,

I am running AIX 5.2 and have a question about the /etc/netsvc.conf
file. Currently I have a the following line:
hosts = local, bind

If I run a nslookup and put in a name that is in the hosts file for
instance a printer "testing" it will not find the name and resolve it.
I thought that the "local" would have it search the hosts file first.
Any help would appreciated.

thx
Larry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tool Talk Message Server Could Not Be Started
    ... hosts = local, bind in /etc/netsvc.conf is one step. ... the hostname from "uname -n" must be resolvable to the ipaddress through ... goes straight to the CDE desktop, ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Tool Talk Message Server Could Not Be Started
    ... hosts = local, bind in /etc/netsvc.conf is one step. ... the hostname from "uname -n" must be resolvable to the ipaddress through ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND
    ... I use currentlu this as a starting point and add private preferences to hosts. ... The firewall will also act as our local name server ... One of the things I'd like to do with it is use BIND to block various ... to have a separate BIND config file which is included in the main one. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Firewalls + NTP + dialup problems
    ... I'm having a problem running NTP over a dialup link between two hosts ... Both machines are running ... Make ntpd notice when host2.ppp is created and bind to it. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Blocking undesirable domains using BIND
    ... curious why using BIND for this purpose instead of a proxy, ... I didn't research too hard, but figured the only way to use Bind would be to make my server authoritative for all those domains, which meant a huge config file and potential overhead, as well as possibly breaking access to desirable servers in the domains. ... So hosts seemed easier, but apparently Bind never looks at hosts. ... Then I found this site: http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html and put their list in hosts, and now client PCs get a squid error in place of ad junk. ...
    (freebsd-questions)