Re: Making a dynamically-linked root

From: Matthew Dillon (dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com)
Date: 06/02/03

    Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>

    :
    :Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org> writes:
    :> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 10:21:16PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
    :> > Was /bin/sh dynamically linked? It shouldn't be.
    :> Why shouldn't it be dynamically linked? I'd like to be able to use
    :> ~username expansion via nss_ldap.
    :
    :Because forking a dynamically linked binary is slower, and /bin/sh
    :forks a lot.
    :
    :DES
    :--
    :Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

        I think you meant 'EXECing' a dynamically linked binary is slower.
        fork() should not be appreciably slower. An exec will take a lot
        of copy-on-write faults vs static, fork() might take one or two
        extra faults due to data being strewn all over the place vs static.

        In anycase, this is a convenience vs performance issue. I think a number
        of solutions should be investigated before people give up and start
        hacking dynamic vs static binaries. For example, a lot of startup delay
        is due to disk waiting (since nothing is in the disk cache at system
        start!). Running certain daemon startups in the background might yield
        a significant overall improvement in startup times.

        e.g. instead of running 'sshd' you would run sshd in a subshell, aka
        (sshd &), so the RC script can continue on with the next thing without
        having to wait for sshd to fault-in from disk. Same goes for sendmail
        and many other daemons.

                                                    -Matt

    • Re: Periods of Hihg Disk Activity in Win XP
      ... I have a bunch of things loading at startup ... ... AGRSMMSG, Ati2mdxx, NTFSCLUP, SCHWIZEX, gcasServ, GoogleDesktop, LTSMMSG, ... Google Desktop or MSN Toolbar with Windows Desktop ... >> [i.e. the disk light is on almost constantly and it sounds really REALLY ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: Specifying disk device names on Alpha
      ... If you are not interested in changing the application startup text ... >> labels which either draw from the DISK$ logicals, ... >> you go on to add a controller, you're in for a rough ride. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Remote Diagnostics
      ... I'm tempted to suggest start with a Disk ... Sure, try Disk Utility, but IME kernel panics may cause disk problems, ... you get a second startup chime. ... fluke events that are unlikely to reoccur and 2) hardware problems, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: XP install probs
      ... So I started it with a boot disk. ... > Install went fine up to a point, ... > black screen with the windows XP logo and the moving blue bar and wouldn't ... > mode I set it to run in diagnostic startup mode, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • How to troubleshoot spiking CPU/Hard drive graph?
      ... spiking CPU and Disk activity as I start up and do almost anything on the ... apps and drivers throw up ... errors about taking too long to start-up and shutdown. ... The startup and shutdown time are about 3 ...