Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

From: Ramiro Aceves (ea1abz_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: 12/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:48:54 +0100
    To: jsha <johann@terrabionic.com>

    jsha wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am writing this e-mail hoping that someone will share my thoughts
    > on how the world's best operating system should represent its attributes
    > and users to the rest of the world.

    I am new to FreeBSD, only one month of use or so. I come from Debian
    GNU/Linux world and only want to say some toughts:

    > Being an architect as well as graphic designer, I feel it is about time
    > for a complete revamp of the visual aesthetics of the FreeBSD project.
    > The current logo and everything pertaining to it has long since lost its
    > modern touch. I believe that if this image is strenghtened, so is the
    > way outsiders view the FreeBSD project and the way they would judge it
    > compared to other open source operating systems.
    >
    > 1. Not only is the logo misleading (associating evil) but it also looks
    > like something 10-year-olds could produce in Paint Shop Pro ten years
    > ago. OpenBSD has an artistic touch to theirs, however I was very
    > disappointed when I heard that the new NetBSD logo was in effect.

    I really like the devil, it is nice and pleasant for me.

    > 2. If it wasn't for the interesting content and structure of the FreeBSD
    > website, it would be among the less beautiful. Yes, it serves its
    > purpose well by being simple and straight to the point. But a redesign
    > could offer just the same -- simplicity and accuracy -- without being
    > ugly.

    The WEB is great!, I like WEBs with no images moving around! Debian WEB
    (www.debian.org) and FreeBSD WEB pages are simliar in aesthetics and I
    feel confortable.

    > 3. The installation, even though it's text-only, could also be improved
    > by simple restructuring to act more cognitive and human-centered than
    > previously. Everything pertaining to the eye is important to improve.

    The instalation program is reasonably good , once you do a couple of
    installs you can do it without thinking too much.

    <snip>

    Enjoy FreeBSD.

    Ramiro.