Re: FreeBSD's Visual Identity: Outdated?

From: Ramiro Aceves (ea1abz_at_wanadoo.es)
Date: 12/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:48:54 +0100
    To: jsha <johann@terrabionic.com>

    jsha wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I am writing this e-mail hoping that someone will share my thoughts
    > on how the world's best operating system should represent its attributes
    > and users to the rest of the world.

    I am new to FreeBSD, only one month of use or so. I come from Debian
    GNU/Linux world and only want to say some toughts:

    > Being an architect as well as graphic designer, I feel it is about time
    > for a complete revamp of the visual aesthetics of the FreeBSD project.
    > The current logo and everything pertaining to it has long since lost its
    > modern touch. I believe that if this image is strenghtened, so is the
    > way outsiders view the FreeBSD project and the way they would judge it
    > compared to other open source operating systems.
    >
    > 1. Not only is the logo misleading (associating evil) but it also looks
    > like something 10-year-olds could produce in Paint Shop Pro ten years
    > ago. OpenBSD has an artistic touch to theirs, however I was very
    > disappointed when I heard that the new NetBSD logo was in effect.

    I really like the devil, it is nice and pleasant for me.

    > 2. If it wasn't for the interesting content and structure of the FreeBSD
    > website, it would be among the less beautiful. Yes, it serves its
    > purpose well by being simple and straight to the point. But a redesign
    > could offer just the same -- simplicity and accuracy -- without being
    > ugly.

    The WEB is great!, I like WEBs with no images moving around! Debian WEB
    (www.debian.org) and FreeBSD WEB pages are simliar in aesthetics and I
    feel confortable.

    > 3. The installation, even though it's text-only, could also be improved
    > by simple restructuring to act more cognitive and human-centered than
    > previously. Everything pertaining to the eye is important to improve.

    The instalation program is reasonably good , once you do a couple of
    installs you can do it without thinking too much.

    <snip>

    Enjoy FreeBSD.

    Ramiro.

    • Re: bsd 5.1 video install
      ... > specifications that matched my monitor unless its name was on the list. ... > had been resolved and until this installation I had never again been ... Well, it's important to realize that currently, FreeBSD is designed to ... Your job is to figure out what you want your operating system to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: A quality operating system
      ... I told him I was considering FreeBSD because of greater stability and security. ... In his view, and now mine, a quality operating system is reliable, ... They reduce a community to hobbyists only. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • SV: A quality operating system
      ... Ron is completely pro-Linux and pro-Windows, and against FreeBSD. ... In his view, and now mine, a quality operating system is reliable, ... They reduce a community to hobbyists only. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD
      ... compete against in developing Swift Linux. ... FreeBSD is first and foremost a server OS. ... Business of an operating system is to manage the resources of the computer ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: FreeBSDs Visual Identity: Outdated?
      ... > on how the world's best operating system should represent its attributes ... I am new to FreeBSD, only one month of use or so. ... I like WEBs with no images moving around! ... The installation, even though it's text-only, could also be improved ...
      (freebsd-questions)