Re: [Fwd: Re: Lockless algorithms [was Re: splxxx replacements?]]

Julian Elischer wrote:

I don;t think that patent issues can be to much of an issue as RCU (as
it is in my understanding) has been used in the kernel since the very
earliest of days, even before there was SMP.

From my understanding this is RCU. (unless I'm thinking of a different
RCU :-)

You're right, but I found this document:
http://lse.sourceforge.net/locking/rcupdate.html and it mentions the
algorithm/method was developed "for DYNIX/ptx, a UNIX operating system
from Sequent Computer Systems Inc., now a part of IBM. Similar methods
were also used for Tornado and K42 OS projects at University of Toronto
and IBM Research."

It seems to me that there's nothing to patent, since it's an obvious way
to do lock-free update, but what do I know...

I brought this up because I remembered PHK's thread on new callout
mechanism and the discussion about scaling it to MP.

  • Re: Ein =?UTF-8?B?QmnDn2NoZW4gTGludXggd8OkcmUgc2Now7ZuIQ==?=
    ... Und ohne eCS (Mensys) wäre ich nie legal an einen SMP Kernel gekommen. ... Von IBM könnte ich den nicht kaufen. ... SMP kaufen. ... Brauchen tut es der OS/2 Privatanwender erst nach 2005. ...
    (de.comp.os.os2.misc)
  • RE: Linux v2.6.9 and GPL Buyout
    ... > on IBM. ... We argued for 30 minutes about SMP support in Linux and I think ... trade secrets or misappropriated intellectual property. ... else's misappropriation. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Non-SMP/e Packaging
    ... Even take a look an IBM and their completely replacing hole lmods in their "new" UNIXland modules. ... usages of SMP within IBM products themselves. ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: smttter IBMdroids
    ... When IBM invented SMP, they called it parallel sysplex, Codd and Date ... IBM did invent a *few* things... ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: Ein =?UTF-8?B?QmnDn2NoZW4gTGludXggd8OkcmUgc2Now7ZuIQ==?=
    ... IBM mir keinen SMP Kernel zu einem leistbaren Preis verkauft hätte. ... Korrigiere mich wenn ich falsch liege, aber wo hätte ein Privater nach 2005 von IBM zu welchem Preis SMP bekommmen? ...
    (de.comp.os.os2.misc)