Re: dwb : groff replacement proposal

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:56:18AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
On 6/30/10 2:43 AM, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

Le 30/06/2010 05:46, Steve Kargl a ?crit :

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:18:43AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

seen on http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware, groff have switch
to GPLv3 license, so,

So what? The version of groff in the src/ isn't
going to suddenly stop working. Please send this
type of email to free-advocacy or freebsd-chat.
It has no place here.

it was just for information and I do not know every dozen freebsd lists
by heart... so I appology.
however, you answer remember me why I quit FreeBSD, cease fire, courtesy
is the key.

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre

Steve K's social skills leave a bit to be desired, but the question
remains, "is there a good reason to do this?"

Oh please. It was a legitimate question. So what if groff is
now gplv3? The version contained in src/ is not sudden going
to stop working and it is not suddenly going to become gplv3.

The fact remains that there is no available alternative that
contains the functionality of groff. Perhaps, the best
alternative is The Heirloom Documentation Tools at
http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools.html.
Several weeks ago, I got the heirloom tools to compile
(after fixing several bugs) on x86_64-*-freebsd only to find
that the tools segfault on all manpages I tried to render.

--
Steve

  • Re: groff alternative?
    ... Do we want FreeBSD to be in the middle of the courts again? ... Groff is the standard in Roff. ... might be that if Solaris troff solves a problem for someone, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Groff in FreeBSD
    ... I am trying to refresh my old groff skills, ... first time on FreeBSD -- and getting very confused with understanding ... macro package, good by modern standards. ... So, I am trying to see if 'mom' is available on my system, and it is ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: groff alternative?
    ... Do we want FreeBSD to be in the middle of the courts again? ... Groff is the standard in Roff. ... people writing books on systems with a native Troff install Groff to get ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Another attempt [Re: Groff is not working in the latest code]
    ... `groff' is still not working for me, ... I looked at how things are being built and think that the ... During the build, the original "contrib" code is used, to be found ... replaced with the FreeBSD hard versions that had been delivered ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: dwb : groff replacement proposal
    ... seen on http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware, groff have switch ... to GPLv3 license, so, ... render its man pages? ... FreeBSD community; see: ...
    (freebsd-arch)