Re: umtx/libthr SMP fixes.

From: Bryan Liesner (bleez_at_verizon.net)
Date: 06/05/03

    Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:22:02 -0400 (EDT)
    To: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>

    On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

    > As I said: I still think there is a lost serialization here
    > that's at the root of the problem. I can't really dedicate
    > the equipment I have here to reproducing the issue at this
    > time, or I'd track down the race I think may be happening.
    >
    > -- Terry

    The original panic in kern/52718 is no longer reproduceable for me at
    this time. After Jeff's latest changes, the panic moved from boot time to
    panicking when I did an init 6. I could _not_ reproduce the new panic
    if I built a kernel with DDB, but a DDBless kernel would panic every time
    after init 6. Needles to say, that makes things really tough to track
    down...

    After shit-canning the acpi module, it doesn't panic at all. I'm sure
    the race conditions are still lying in wait, but due to a lack of
    interest and the incredulous attitude of most on the mailing list, I'm
    going to forget about it for the time being.

    ACPI has always worked fine on my system, and I'm probably masking
    problems by not loading the module. Since I'm running a desktop
    system here, acpi doesn't really buy me anything, so apm is back in my
    kernel.

    -Bryan