Very alpha BroadCom 4401 driver

From: Duncan Barclay (dmlb_at_dmlb.org)
Date: 06/29/03

    To: <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
    Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:54:47 +0100

    Hello all

    For those of you who have a Broadcom 4401 10/100 Ethernet (not gigabit) can
    you please try the driver at
    http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm-0306291936.tar.gz. Untar it, and you
    should have sys/dev/bcm/* and
    sys/modules/bcm/Makefile. Put these into /sys then
        cd /sys/modules/bcm
        make
        make test
    then use the interface.

    If you encounter wierdness, please reboot with -v, and reload the module and
    recreate the wierdness. Then send me the dmesg output.

    The driver is sub-optimal:
        - only a small % of the TX and RX buffers are used. This can be changed
    in if_bcmreg.h.
        - RX DMAs into fixed buffers and then these are copied to mbufs.
        - the device stats aren't read
        - I don't know what to add into some of the timer and media routines, if
    anyone can suggest what's
    needed then I would be grateful.
        - LOR on unload.

    I will be trying to fix these over the next couple of days.

    I will be on holiday 5th July to 13th July, so please forgive any delay in
    replying to problems.

    Enjoy

    Duncan