Re: Someone help me understand this...?

From: Robert Watson (rwatson_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 08/30/03

    Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
    To: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:

    > OpenBSD does not consider a process 'tainted' if it changes credentials
    > while running. From the issetugid(2) manpage:
    >
    > The status of issetugid() is only affected by execve().

    In OpenBSD, two flags are used to represent the credential change notion:
    P_SUGIDEXEC, and P_SUGID. issetugid() checks the first of these, but
    signal delivery checks P_SUGID. P_SUGIDEXEC is set during execve(). In
    FreeBSD, we have a combined notion used by both, since the same
    protections generally apply. You can find a comment comparing our use of
    P_SUGID to the OpenBSD approach in our issetugid() implementation:

            /*
             * Note: OpenBSD sets a P_SUGIDEXEC flag set at execve() time,
             * we use P_SUGID because we consider changing the owners as
             * "tainting" as well.
             * This is significant for procs that start as root and "become"
             * a user without an exec - programs cannot know *everything*
             * that libc *might* have put in their data segment.
             */

    Regarding specific signals: inspection of the OpenBSD implementation
    reveals that the following signals are permitted in the P_SUGID case,
    assuming a reasonable credential match:

                    case 0:
                    case SIGKILL:
                    case SIGINT:
                    case SIGTERM:
                    case SIGALRM:
                    case SIGSTOP:
                    case SIGTTIN:
                    case SIGTTOU:
                    case SIGTSTP:
                    case SIGHUP:
                    case SIGUSR1:
                    case SIGUSR2:

    In FreeBSD, we permit:

                    case 0:
                    case SIGKILL:
                    case SIGINT:
                    case SIGTERM:
                    case SIGSTOP:
                    case SIGTTIN:
                    case SIGTTOU:
                    case SIGTSTP:
                    case SIGHUP:
                    case SIGUSR1:
                    case SIGUSR2:

    So they permit SIGALRM in addition to the signals we support. In light of
    this thread, I think it would be reasonable to add SIGALRM to our list as
    well.

    > > In most cases, fail-stop is a reasonable behavior for unexpected security
    > > behavior from the system, but ignore is likely to shoot you later. :-) I
    > > tend to wrap even kill() calls as uid 0 in an assertion check, just to be
    > > on the safe side. If nothing else, it helps detect the case where the
    > > other process has died, and you're using a stale pid. It's particular
    > > useful if the other process has died, the pid has been reused, and it's
    > > now owned by another user, which is a real-world case where kill() as a
    > > non-0 uid can fail even when you're sure it can't :-).
    >
    > This can be avoided by careful programming: do not use SA_NOCLDWAIT and
    > don't pass pids to kill() when they have been returned by wait() or
    > similar functions. If the process has terminated in between, it's a
    > zombie. In that case, FreeBSD probably returns ESRCH but SUSv3 mandates
    > returning success (but performing no action).

    There's still a race possible here, it just becomes more narrow with
    conservative programming. And in the classic use of pids for signalling
    (/var/run/foo.pid, or kill -9 pid), these approaches won't help. The only
    way to close this sort of race is to have a notion of a unique process
    identifier that lasts beyond the lifetime of the process itself -- i.e.,
    the ability to return EMYSINCERESTREGRESTS if you try to signal a process
    after it has died, and have a guarantee that the handle won't be reused.

    Robert N M Watson FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
    robert@fledge.watson.org Network Associates Laboratories