Re: devfs error on RELENG_5_2

From: Kevin Oberman (oberman_at_es.net)
Date: 01/16/04

• Next message: Doug White: "Re: SMP and one-process threads (was: Re: problem smp w/ crafty chess engine"
    To: Loh John Wu <ljwu@sandvine.com>
    Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:35:20 -0800

> From: Loh John Wu <ljwu@sandvine.com>
    > Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:31:18 -0500
    > Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
    > Hello,
    > I'm running a RELENG_5_2 box and I'm trying to use the devfs to change the
    > file permissions on
    > /dev/ttyd1. After perusing through the man page, I tried to change the
    > permissions by doing this
    > # ls -ol /dev/ttyd1
    > crw------- 1 root wheel - 28, 1 Jan 15 20:47 /dev/ttyd1
    > # devfs rule add path ttyd1 mode 666
    > devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error
    > # ls -ol /dev/ttyd1
    > crw------- 1 root wheel - 28, 1 Jan 15 20:47 /dev/ttyd1
    > but it fails and I'm not sure why. I'll have to do
    > devfs rule applyset if the rule add succeeds since the node /dev/ttyd1
    > has already been created but I haven't got that far yet...
    > I've also tried using the example in the man page
    > with /dev/speaker, but it also fails with the same error.
    > # ls -ol /dev/speaker
    > crw------- 1 root wheel - 26, 0 Jan 15 21:24 /dev/speaker
    > # dmesg | grep speaker
    > speaker0: <PC speaker> at port 0x61 on isa0
    > # devfs rule add path speaker mode 666
    > devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error
    > # ls -ol /dev/speaker
    > crw------- 1 root wheel - 26, 0 Jan 15 21:24 /dev/speaker
    > Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks,

First, this sort of thing does NOT belong on hackers@!

Second, I believe you want:
    devfs rule apply path speaker mode 0666

And, if you want it to be permanent, the entry in /etc/devfs.conf would
    be:
    perm speaker 0666

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
    Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
    Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
    E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634
    _______________________________________________
    freebsd-current@freebsd.org mailing list
    To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"