Project Evil: The Evil Continues

From: Bill Paul (wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG)
Date: 01/25/04

    To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
    Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:49:00 -0800 (PST)

    Previously, I had asked for help getting the Intel Centrino wireless
    cards to work with Project Evil, and thanks to various wonderful people,
    a couple of Centrino cards and a miniPCI-to-PCI adapter turned up on
    Project Evil Labs' doorstep. The Centrino NDIS driver now works
    correctly. (The problem turned out to be that I wasn't initializing
    some special flags in ndis_packet structures).

    Now I'm trying to get a handle on getting support done for all
    the remaining unsupported 802.11 chipsets out there. There are a
    couple that I know don't work, and a few which might work, but I
    don't know for sure since I don't have them.

    Right now, it looks like all of the Broadcom-based cards should be
    supported, as well as the Centrino cards. There are various ethernet
    cards that I've tested which work as well. I am looking for success
    or failure reports concerning the following devices:

    - nVidia MCP ethernet, integrated into the nVidia nForce2 chipset.
      This driver should work using the nvenet.sys driver for Windows
      which is available from nVidia's web site. Note: recent versions
      of the driver consist of just two files: the nvenet.sys binary
      module, and its accompanying .inf file. However some of the older
      driver distributions included a couple of additional firmware/microcode
      files that nvenet.sys would try to load at runtime. If you have one
      of these older drivers, put the firmware/microcode files in
      /compat/ndis, and the driver should load them correctly.

    - RealTek RTL8180 wireless LAN chipset. I have been unable to find
      a card with this chip in any of my local computer stores. The
      RealTek driver for this chip _should_ work. I'm pretty sure all
      of the routines it calls are implemented.

    - ADMtek 8211 wireless LAN chipset. This one should also work, but I
      can't find any cards with this chipset in my local computer stores.

    - Intel PRO/5000 wirless card. This is apparently an Atheros 5210
      chipset. I have been told the wl50nd5.sys driver for this card
      crashes when you call its reset method, but again I don't have one of
      these so I can't confirm this or figure out what the problem is.

    - AMD Am1771/Am1772 wireless LAN chipset. This one probably won't
      work: the supplied AMD driver calls lots of functions in ntoskrnl.exe
      which I haven't implemented yet. This chipset is present on the
      SMC 2602w version 3 card. I repeat: that's the SMC 2602w VERSION THREE.
      The version 1 card is a Prism chipset. I don't know what the v2 card is.

    - Texas Instruments ax100 chipset. I'm not sure if this one works or
      not. This chipset has been reverse-engineered and there is a native
      FreeBSD driver available, but I'm still curious to see if it works
      with the NDISulator.

    - Atheros chipsets. Of course, we have the ath(4) driver to support
      these, but it would be nice to know which ones work (or do not work)
      with the NDISulator.

    - Any other PCI or cardbus NIC that I've overlooked which isn't currently
      supported by an existing native driver.

    If you have a system with one of these chipsets, please give the
    NDISulator a try. Note: you do NOT have to recompile your kernel to
    test it. Find the .sys and .inf files from your Windows driver media
    and do the following:

    # cp foo.sys foo.inf /sys/modules/if_ndis
    # cd /sys/modules/ndis
    # make; make load
    # cd /sys/modules/if_ndis
    # ndiscvt -i foo.inf -s foo.sys -o ndis_driver_data.h
    # make; make load

    You don't even have to reboot. Well, not unless the driver causes
    a panic. :/

    If the NIC works, that's great! Drop me a line letting me know, so I
    can cross it off the list. If it doesn't work, please do the
    following:

    - Describe the failure to me _in_ _detail_. DON'T LOAD THE DRIVER
      WITH X RUNNING. (I hate it when people do that. If for some reason
      there's a panic, you'll never see it unless you're watching the
      console. If X is running, it will just look like the system froze,
      and you won't be able to tell what happened.) If you see messages
      of the form "No match for <ConfusingWindowsFunctionName>" on the
      console, then the driver is trying to call some functions that I
      haven't implemented yet. In very rare cases, the driver may still
      work, but don't bet on it. Make a note of all console messages that
      appear when you try to load the driver module. And send them to me,
      along with a description of what card you have and whar Windows driver
      module you used.

    - Tell me where you got your card so I can try to get one too. As with
      the Centrino, it's not always possible to debug these problems without
      actual hardware.

    - If you're feeling really generous, loan me your card for a while so
      I can coerce^Wcoax it into working. (This doesn't apply to NICs
      that are integrated into your system.)

    Again, we at Project Evil appreciate your assistance in our efforts
    to dominate^Wimprove the world. If you decide to loan us your hardware,
    please send it do:

    Attn: Bill Paul
    Wind River Systems
    500 Wind River Way
    Alameda, CA. 94102
    USA

    Project Evil: when it absolutely, positively has to be evil overnight.

    -Bill