FreeBSD Status report for Oct-Dec 2003

From: Scott Long (scottl_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 01/28/04

    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:07:39 -0700
    To: current@freebsd.org

                          October-December 2003 Status Report

                                     Introduction:

       The FreeBSD status reports are back again with the 2003 year-end edition.
       Many new projects are starting up and gaining momentum, including XFS,
       MIPS, PowerPC, and networking locking and mutlithreading. The end of 2003
       also saw the release of FreeBSD 4.9, the first stable release to have
       greater than 4GB support for the ia32 platform. Work on FreeBSD 5.2 also
       finished up and was released early in January of 2004. Many thanks to all
       of the people who worked so hard on these releases and made them happen.

       This is the largest status report ever, so read and enjoy!

       Scott Long, Robert Watson

         * Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD (Netgraph implementation)
         * ACPI
         * AGP 3.0 Support
         * Binary security updates for FreeBSD
         * Compile FreeBSD with Intels C compiler (icc)
         * Donations Team
         * DVB-ASI Support
         * FreeBSD MIDI
         * FreeBSD ports monitoring system
         * FreeBSD/MIPS Status Report
         * FreeBSD/powerpc on PPCBug-based embedded boards
         * jpman project
         * Kernel Tunables Documentation Project
         * kgi4BSD Status Report
         * KSE
         * libarchive, bsdtar
         * Network interface naming changes
         * Network Subsystem Locking and Performance
         * Porting OpenBSD's pf
         * Publications Page Update
         * SGI XFS port for FreeBSD
         * SMPng Status Report
         * The FreeBSD Russian Documentation Project
         * TrustedBSD "Security-Enhanced BSD" -- FLASK/TE Port
         * TrustedBSD Access Control Lists (ACLs)
         * TrustedBSD Audit
         * TrustedBSD Documentation
         * TrustedBSD Mandatory Access Control (MAC)
         * Wireless Networking Support

    Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD (Netgraph implementation)

       Contact: Maksim Yevmenkin < m_evmenkin@yahoo.com >

       Not much to report. Bluetooth code was integrated into the FreeBSD source
       tree. Bluetooth kernel modules appear to be stable. I have received few
       success stories from the users.

       During last few months the efforts were to make Bluetooth code more user
       friendly. Bluetooth Service Discovery Procotol daemon sdpd was
       reimplemented under BSD-style license and committed. The next step is to
       integrate existing Bluetooth utilities with SDP.

       Thanks to Matt Peterson matt at peterson dot org> I now have Bluetooth
       keyboard and mouse for development. I'm currently working on Bluetooth HID
       profile implementation.

       Dave Sainty (dave at dtsp dot co dot nz) from NetBSD project offered his
       help in porting Bluetooth stack to NetBSD.

    ACPI

       Contact: Nate Lawson <njl@FreeBSD.org>

       The updated acpi_cpu driver was committed in November. Work is ongoing to
       finish support for _CST re-evaluation, which makes it possible for laptops
       based on processors like the Centrino to use varying CPU idle states when
       on or off AC power. 5.2-RELEASE also went out with support for _CID
       packages, which fixed mouse probing for Compaq users. Control of CPU idle
       states and throttling can now be done through rc.conf(5) settings for the
       /etc/power_profile script, which switches between performance/economy
       levels when the AC status changes.

       One huge task underway is the cpufreq project, a framework for detecting
       and controlling various frequency/voltage technologies (SpeedStep,
       LongRun, ACPI Performance states, etc.) The ACPI performance states driver
       is working and the framework is being implemented. It requires newbus
       attachments for CPUs so some ground work needs to go in before the driver
       can be committed.

       ACPI-CA was updated to 20031203 in early December and with a few patches
       is reasonably stable. An ACPI debugging how-to has been written and is
       being DocBooked by trhodes@. Ongoing work on fixing interrupt storms due
       to various ways of setting up the SCI is being done by jhb@.

       I'd like to welcome Philip Paeps (philip@) to the FreeBSD team. Philip has
       written an ACPI ASUS driver that will be committed soon and has been very
       helpful on the mailing lists. We've also had a lot of help from jhb@,
       marcel@, imp@, and peter@. We're hoping to see the return of takawata@ and
       iwasaki@, who have been very helpful in the past. If any developers are
       interested in assisting with ACPI, please see the ACPI TODO and send us an
       email.

    AGP 3.0 Support

       Contact: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>

       Simple support AGP 3.0 including support for AGP 8x mode was added. The
       support is simple in that it still assumes only one master and one target.
       The main gain is the ability to use AGP 8x with drm modules that support
       it.

    Binary security updates for FreeBSD

       Contact: Colin Percival <cperciva@daemonology.net>

       Thanks to recent donations, I am now building binary security updates for
       FreeBSD {4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2}-RELEASE. (Note that FreeBSD 4.7 and
       5.0 are no longer officially supported; any advisories which are not
       reflected in the CVS tree will likewise not result in binary updates.)

       The current version (1.5) of FreeBSD Update will warn about locally
       modified files and will, by default, leave them untouched; if a
       "distribution branch", (i.e. crypto, nocrypto, krb4, or krb5) is
       specified, FreeBSD Update can be forced to "update" files which have been
       compiled locally.

       The only major issue remaining with FreeBSD Update is the
       single-point-of-failure of the update building process; I would like to
       resolve this in the future by having several machines cross-verify and
       cross-sign, but this will require a significant investment of time, and
       will probably have to wait until I've finished writing my DPhil thesis.

    Compile FreeBSD with Intels C compiler (icc)

       Contact: Alexander Leidinger <netchild@FreeBSD.org>

       The FreeBSD kernel now builds and runs fine with icc v7 (only GENERIC and
       a custom kernel tested so far). A review on arch@ revealed no major
       concerns and some src committers are willing to commit the patches. As icc
       v8 is out and defines __GNUC__ I want to rework the patches before they
       get committed so an icc v8 compiled kernel DTRT too.

       A complete build of the ports collection (as of start of December)
       finished and is under review to determine the reason of build failures.
       Current icc stats:
         * 1108 failed builds (excluding build failures because of failed
           dependencies)
         * 3535 successfully build packages (~ 1.7 GB)
       A parallel build with gcc on the same snapshot of the ports collection
       has:
         * 520 failed builds (excluding build failures because of failed
           dependencies) and
         * 7261 successfully build packages (~ 4.8 GB).

       The above mentioned build of the ports collection was run on a P4 with a
       icc compiled kernel (optimized for a P4). No kernel panics or other
       strange behavior was noticed. The ports collection was build with a
       CPUTYPE of p4 and CFLAGS set to "-Os -pipe -mfpmath=sse -msse2" in the gcc
       and "-O2" in the icc case. No package is tested for correct run-time
       behavior so far.

    Donations Team

       Contact: Michael Lucas <donations@FreeBSD.org>

       2003 was quite successful for the Donations team. We shepherded over 200
       items from donors into the hands of developers. Some high points include:
       a small cluster for the security team, assorted laptop hardware for our
       cardbus work, and documentation for our standards group. In the main
       FreeBSD.org cluster we were able to replace 8 DEC Miata machines with 6
       Alpha DS10s (21264). Every committer doing SMP work now has
       multi-processor testing hardware.

       We have smoothed out the tax deduction process with the FreeBSD
       Foundation, and can ship donated items directly to the recipients instead
       of tying up Foundation time handling shipping.

       Current team membership is: Michael Lucas, David O'Brien, and Tom Rhodes.
       Wilko Bulte has replaced Robert Watson as the Core Team representative.

    DVB-ASI Support

       Contact: Vincent Jardin <Vincent.Jardin@6wind.com>

       DVB ASI stands for Digital Video Broadcast - Asynchronous Serial
       Interface. It is the standard defined to send and receive DVB stream from
       Satellite (DVB-S), Terrestrial link (DVB-T), and TV Cable (DVB-C). This
       standard was developed in Europe to transport 188-byte MPEG cells and
       204-byte MPEG cells. However it can be used to carry IP over DVB too.

       The FreeBSD driver uses the newbus amd the bus-dma API. It means that it
       could be easily ported to all the BSD flavors (NetBSD, OpenBSD).

       It uses the same API than the Linux DVB ASI support from ComputerModules
       that is based on the following devices:
         * /dev/asitxN for the transmit stream (only open, write, select, close
           and ioctl are supported).
         * /dev/asirxN for the receive stream (only open, read, select, close and
           ioctl are supported).
       It means that software such as Videolan that support DVB-ASI broadcasting
       could be supported by this driver.

       Special thanks to Tom Thorsteinson from Computer Modules who helped 6WIND
       to port their driver. It is used by 6WIND in order to provide IPv4, IPv6,
       Ethernet and our network services over DVB.

       Copyright 2003-2004, 6WIND

    FreeBSD MIDI

       Contact: Mathew Kanner <matk@FreeBSD.org>

       This project aims to update the current MIDI implementation. We are
       currently looking at removing the current code sometime in February and
       importing the new version soon after. I'm currently working on a
       kernel/timidiy bridge for those without external hardware.

    FreeBSD ports monitoring system

       Contact: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome_dot_com>

       Enhancements continue to be made to the system. Several, including
       improvements to the PR classification algorithm, the ability to more
       correctly guess when a PR has been updated, and better handling of errors
       in both port Makefiles and the bento builds, are invisible to end-users.
       However, the addition of a "repocopy" classification is notable, as is the
       allowing the wildcard search in "overview of one port" (thanks to edwin@
       for the shove in that direction.) Additionally, logic has been added to
       identify the proposed category/portname of new ports, with the goal being
       to quickly identify possible duplications of effort. (Some SQL performance
       was sacrificed to this goal, leading to some pages to load more slowly;
       this needs to be fixed.)

       The other work has been on an email back-end to allow the occasional
       sending of email to maintainers. Two functions are currently available:
       "remind maintainers of their ports that are marked BROKEN", and "remind
       maintainers of PRs that they may not have seen." A recent run of the
       former got generally good response, especially as changing some cases of
       BROKEN to IGNORE (PR ports/61090) had removed almost all the annoying
       false positives. However, work remains to try to find out why a few
       allegedly broken ports only fail in certain environments (including the
       bento cluster).

       The next plan is to use the proposed DEPRECATED Makevar (see ports/59362)
       to create a new report to allow querying of "ports currently slated to be
       removed". This report could also be posted to ports@ periodically with
       minimal work. The author believes that doing this would allow the port
       deprecation process to be much more visible to the general FreeBSD user
       community.

    FreeBSD/MIPS Status Report

       Contact: Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>

       TLB support code and PMAP have come along nicely. GCC and related have
       been kept up to date with the main tree. An evaluation board from Broadcom
       was donated and initial work on that platform has been occurring. Much old
       and obsolete code brought from NetBSD for bootstrapping the effort has
       been cleaned up. The system has been seen to get to the point of trying to
       initialize filesystems, but there are still bugs even before that
       milestone.

    FreeBSD/powerpc on PPCBug-based embedded boards

       Contact: Rafal Jaworowski <rafal.jaworowski@motorola.com>

       The direct objective is to make FreeBSD/powerpc work on Motorola MCP750
       and similar (single board computer that is compliant with Compact PCI
       standard) Based on this work it would be easy to bring it to other
       embedded systems.

       1. loader(8) It is based on the existing loader for FreeBSD/powerpc port
       but binding to OpenFirmware was removed and replaced with PPCBug firmware
       binding. It only supports netbooting for the moment, so disk (compact
       flash) support needs to be done one day. The loader is the only piece that
       relies onPPCBug system calls - once the kernel starts it doesn't need
       firmware support any longer.

       2. kernel It is now divorced from OpenFirmware dependencies; most of the
       groundwork finished includes: nexus stuff is sorted out (resources
       management is ok except interrupts assignment); host to PCI bridge low
       level routines are finished so configuration of and access to PCI devices
       works; the only important thing missing is the IRQ management (Raven MPIC
       part is done, but the board has the second PIC, 8259-compatible that needs
       to be set up, but here the existing code from x86 arch will be adopted)

       Once the IRQ management is cleared out, most of the devices on board would
       work straight away since they are pretty standard chips with drivers
       already implemented in the tree (e.g. if_de).

       At the moment work is on hold (don't have physical access to the device)
       but will resume when I'm back home (late Feb)

    jpman project

       Contact: Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@FreeBSD.org>

       We have been updating existing Japanese translations of manual pages to
       meet the 5.2-RELEASE schedule. Also, 22 new translations were complete
       during this period.

    Kernel Tunables Documentation Project

       Contact: Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>

       FreeBSD has well over a few hundred tunables without documentation. This
       project aims at designing an automated process to rip all available
       tunables and generate a manual page based on the selected kernel options.
       The ideal implementation, however; would gather tunables from the LINT
       kernels as well. This would provide a default manual page for all
       supported architectures. A simple tool has been forged from the various
       off-list and on-list discussions and is waiting review from the -doc team.
       Anyone interesting in reviewing my current work is requested to get in
       contact with me.

    kgi4BSD Status Report

       Contact: Nicholas Souchu <nsouch@FreeBSD.org>

       Most of the console blocks are in place with nice results (see screenshots
       on the site). Boot console and virtual terminals are working with 8bit
       rendering and perfect integration of true graphic drivers in the kernel.

       Now it is time to bring it to end user and a precompiled R5.2 GENERIC
       kernel is available for this (see the site news). In parallel, after
       providing a last tarball/patch for R5.2, everything will move to Perforce.

       As always, volunteers are welcome. The task is huge but very exciting.

    KSE

       Contact: Daniel Eischen <deischen@FreeBSD.org>

       The libkse library will shortly be renamed to libpthread and be made the
       default thread library. This includes making the GCC -pthread option link
       to -lpthread instead of libc_r and changing PTHREAD_LIBS to -lpthread.
       David Xu has been working on GDB support and has it working with the GDB
       currently in our tree. The next step is to make a libpthread_db and get it
       working with GDB 6.0 which marcel has imported into the perforce tree.

    libarchive, bsdtar

       Contact: Tim Kientzle <kientzle@FreeBSD.org>

       The libarchive library, which reads and writes tar and cpio archives, is
       about ready to commit to the tree. The bsdtar program, built on
       libarchive, is also nearing completion and should soon be a worthwhile
       successor to our aging GNU tar. I plan a gradual transition during which
       "bsdtar" and "gtar" will coexist in the tree.

       Oddly enough, libarchive and bsdtar are the first fruits of a project to
       completely rewrite the pkg tools. I've started architecting a libpkg
       library for handling routine package management and have a prototype
       pkg_add that is three times faster than the current version.

    Network interface naming changes

       Contact: Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>

       At the end of October, the if_name and if_unit members of struct ifnet
       were replaced with if_xname from NetBSD and if_dname and if_dunit. These
       represent the name of the interface and the driver name and instance of
       the interface respectively. Other then breaking IPFilter for a few weeks
       due to the userland being on the vendor branch, this change went quite
       well. A few ports needed minor changes, but otherwise nothing changed from
       the user perspective.

       The purpose of this change was the lay the groundwork for support for
       network interface renaming and to allow the implementation of more
       interesting pseudo interface cloning support. An example of interesting
       cloning support would be using "ifconfig fxp0.20 create" to create and
       configure a vlan interface on fxp0 that handled frames marked with the tag
       20. Interface renaming is being worked on in Perforce at the moment with a
       working version expected for review soon. Support for enhanced device
       cloning is still in the planing stage.

    Network Subsystem Locking and Performance

       Contact: Sam Leffler <sam@FreeBSD.org>

       The purpose of this project is to improve performance of the network
       subsystem. A major part of this work is to complete the locking of the
       networking subsystem so that it no longer depends on the "Giant lock" for
       proper operation. Removing the use of Giant will improve performance and
       permit multiple instances of the network stack to operate concurrently on
       multiprocessor systems.

       Locking of the network subsystem is largely complete. Network drivers,
       middleware layers (e.g. ipfw, dummynet, bridge, etc.), the routing tables,
       IPv4. NFS, and sockets are locked and operating without the use of Giant.
       Much of this work was included in the 5.2 release, but not enabled by
       default. The remaining work (mostly locking of the socket layer) will be
       committed to CVS as soon as we can resolve how to handle "legacy
       protocols" (i.e. those protocols that are not locked). The code can be
       obtained now from the Perforce database. A variety of test and production
       systems have been running this code for several months without any obvious
       issues.

       Performance analysis and tuning is ongoing. Initial results indicate SMP
       performance is already better than 4.x systems but UP performance is still
       lagging (though improved over -current). The removal of Giant from the
       network subsystem has reduced contention on Giant and highlighted
       performance bottlenecks in other parts of the system.

       This work was supported by the FreeBSD Foundation.

    Porting OpenBSD's pf

       Contact: Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
       Contact: Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>

       Much work has been invested into getting release 2.00 stable. It provides
       the complete OpenBSD 3.4 function set, as well as fine grained locking to
       work with a giant free network stack.

       pf provides: IPv6 filtering and normalization, "syn-proxy" to protect
       (web)server against SYN-floods, passive OS detection, fast and modular
       address tables, source/policy routing, stateful filter and normalization
       engine, structured rulesets via anchors and many many more. Especially in
       connection with ALTQ, pf can help to harden against various flood attacks
       and improve user experience.

       New features from OpenBSD-Current like: state synchronization over wire
       and enhanced support for cloned interfaces require patches to the kernel.
       We are trying to resolve this issue and start OpenBSD-Current tracking
       again as soon as possible.

    Publications Page Update

       Contact: Josef El-Rayes <josef@daemon.li>

       I did a xml/xslt conversion of the html files to make maintaining of the
       page more comfortable. I removed the cdsets, which might be kept in CVS or
       some kind of archive for historical reasons. The books got an update, and
       were categorized in respect to the language they are written in. As soon
       as I get my access on the cvs repository I will commit the updates. People
       are encouraged to add local FreeBSD books, I missed, especially in the
       asian area. Feel free to send me links to books to add.

    SGI XFS port for FreeBSD

       Contact: Alexander Kabaev <kan@FreeBSD.org>
       Contact: Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>

       A project was started to revive a stalled effort to port SGI XFS
       journaling filesystem to FreeBSD. The project is based on Linux
       development sources from SGI and is currently being kept in a private
       Perforce repository. The work is progressing slowly due to lack of free
       time. At the moment we have XFS kernel module which is capable of mounting
       XFS filesystems read-only, with a panic or two happening infrequently,
       that need to be isolated and fixed. Semi-working metadata updates with
       full transaction support are there too, but will probably have to be
       rewritten to minimize the amount of custom kernel changes required.

       We seek volunteers to help with userland part of the port. Namely,
       existing xfsprogs port needs to be cleaned up, incompletely ported
       utilities brought into a working shape. xfs_dump/xfs_restore and as much
       from xfstests suite as possible need to be ported too. We do not need
       testers for now, so please to not ask for module sources just yet.

    SMPng Status Report

       Contact: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
       Contact: <smp@FreeBSD.org>

       Work is progressing on SMPng on several different fronts. Sam Leffler and
       several other folks have been working on locking the network stack as
       mentioned elsewhere in this update. Several infrastructure improvements
       have been made in the past few months as well.

       The low-level interrupt code for the i386 architecture has been redesigned
       to allow for a runtime selection between different types of interrupt
       controllers. This work allows the Advanced Programmable Interrupt
       Controllers (APICs) to be used instead of the AT 8259A PIC without having
       to compile a separate kernel to do so. It also allows the APIC to be used
       in a UP kernel as well as on a UP box. Together, all these changes allow
       an SMP kernel to work on a UP box and thus allowed SMP to be enabled in
       GENERIC as it already is on all of the other supported architectures. This
       work also reworked the APIC support to correctly route PCI interrupts when
       using an APIC to service device interrupts. This work was also used to add
       SMP support to the amd64 port.

       A turnstile implementation was committed that implemented a queue of
       threads blocked on a resource along with priority inheritance of blocked
       threads to the owner of the resource. Turnstiles were then used to replace
       the thread queue built into each mutex object which shrunk the size of
       each mutex as well as reduced the use of the sched_lock spin mutex.

    The FreeBSD Russian Documentation Project

       Contact: Andrey Zakhvatov <andy@FreeBSD.org>

       The FreeBSD Russian Documentation Project aims to provide FreeBSD
       Documentation translated to Russian. Already done: FAQ, Porters Handbook,
       WWW (partially synched with English version), some articles.

       We working at Handbook (and more docs) translation and synchronization
       with English versions and need more translators (or financial aid to
       continue our work. If you can help, please, contact us at
       ru-cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org.ua (or andy@FreeBSD.org).

       TrustedBSD "Security-Enhanced BSD" (SEBSD) is a port of NSA's SELinux
       FLASK security architecture, Type Enforcement (TE) policy engine and
       language, and sample policy to FreeBSD using the TrustedBSD MAC Framework.
       SEBSD is available as a loadable policy module for the MAC Framework,
       along with a set of userspace extensions support security-extended
       labeling calls. In most cases, existing MAC Framework functions provide
       the necessary abstractions for SEBSD to plug in without SEBSD-specific
       changes, but some extensions to the MAC Framework have been required;
       these changes are developed in the SEBSD development branch, then merged
       to the MAC branch as they mature, and then to the FreeBSD development
       tree.

       Unlike other MAC Framework policy modules, the SEBSD module falls under
       the GPL, as it is derived from NSA's implementation. However, the eventual
       goal is to support plugging SEBSD into a base FreeBSD install without any
       modifications to FreeBSD itself.

       TrustedBSD SEBSD development branch in Perforce integrated to 5.2-RELEASE.
       Other changes in the MAC branch, including restructuring of MAC Framework
       files also integrated, and a move to zone allocation for labels. See the
       TrustedBSD MAC Framework report for more detail on these and other MAC
       changes that also affect the SEBSD work.

       FreeBSD PTY code modified so that the MAC Framework and SEBSD module can
       create pty's with the label of the process trying to access them. Improves
       compatibility with the SELinux sample policy. (Not yet merged)

       SEBSD now loads its initial policy in the boot loader rather than using a
       dummy policy until the root file system is mounted, and then loading it
       using VFS operations. This avoids initial labeling and access control
       conditions during the boot.

       security_load_policy() now passes a memory buffer and length to the
       kernel, permitting the policy reload mechanisms to be shared between the
       early boot load and late reloads. The kernel SEBSD code now no longer
       needs to perform direct file I/O relating to reading the policy.
       checkpolicy now mmap's the policy before making the system call.

       SEBSD now enforces protections on System V IPC objects and methods. Shared
       memory, semaphores, and message queues are labeled, and most operations
       are controlled. The sample policy has been updated.

       The TrustedBSD MAC Framework now controls mount, umount, and remount
       operations. A new MAC system call, mac_get_fs() can be used to query the
       mountpoint label. lmount() system call allows a mount label to be
       explicitly specified at mount time. The SEBSD policy module has been
       updated to reflect this functionality, and sample TE policy has been
       updated. (Not yet merged)

       SEBSD now enforces protections on POSIX semaphores; the sample policy has
       been updated to demonstrate how to label and control sempahores. This
       includes sample rules for PostgreSQL.

       The SEBSD sample policy, policy syntax, and policy tools have been updated
       to the SELinux code drop from August. Bmake these pieces so we don't need
       gmake.

       Provide file ioctl() MAC Framework entry point and SEBSD implementation.

       A large number of sample policy tweaks and fixes. The policy has been
       updated to permit cron to operate properly. It has been updated for
       FreeBSD 5.2 changes, including dynamically linked root. Teach the sample
       policy about FreeBSD's sendmail wrapper.

       Adapt sysinstall and install process for SEBSD pieces. Teach sysinstall,
       newfs, et al, about multilabel file systems, install SEBSD sample policy
       pieces, build policy. Automatically load the SEBSD module on first boot
       after install.

       Allow "ls -Z" to print out labels without long format.

       TrustedBSD Access Control Lists (ACLs) provide extended discretionary
       access control support for the UFS and UFS2 file systems on FreeBSD. They
       implement POSIX.1e ACLs with some extensions, and meet the Common Criteria
       CAPP requirements. Most ACL-related work is complete, with remaining tasks
       associated with userspace integration, third party applications, and
       compatibility

       Prototyped Solaris/Linux semantics for combining ACLs and the umask: if an
       default ACL mask is defined, substitute that mask for the umask,
       permitting ACLs to override umasks. (Not merged)

    TrustedBSD Audit

       Contact: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
       Contact: TrustedBSD Audit Discussion List
       <trustedbsd-audit@TrustedBSD.org>

       The TrustedBSD Project is producing an implementation of CAPP compliant
       Audit support for use with FreeBSD. Little progress was made on this
       implementation between October and December other than an update to the
       existing development tree. However, in January, work began on porting the
       Darwin Audit implementation to FreeBSD. Details on this work will appear
       in the next report; more information is available on the TrustedBSD audit
       discussion list. Perforce messages may be seen on the trustedbsd-cvs
       mailing list.

       The TrustedBSD Project is implementing many new features for the FreeBSD
       Project. It also provides documentation for users, administrators, and
       developers.

       mac_support.4 added -- documents TrustedBSD MAC Framework feature
       compatibility. See also the MAC Framework report.

       FreeBSD security architecture updated and corrections/additions made.

       A variety of documentation updates relating to API changes, including the
       socket-related API changes in libc/mac(3).

       The TrustedBSD Mandatory Access Control (MAC) Framework permits the
       FreeBSD kernel and userspace access control policies to be adapted at
       compile-time, boot-time, or run-time. The MAC Framework provides common
       infrastructure components, such as policy-agnostic labeling, making it
       possible to easily development and distribute new access control policy
       modules. Sample modules include Biba, MLS, and Type Enforcement, as well
       as a variety of system hardening polices.

       TrustedBSD MAC development branch in Perforce integrated to 5.2-RELEASE.

       The TrustedBSD MAC Framework now enforces protections on System V IPC
       objects and methods. Shared memory, semaphores, and message queues are
       labeled, and most operations are controlled. The Biba, MLS, Test, and Stub
       policies have been updated for System V IPC. (Not yet merged)

       The TrustedBSD MAC Framework now enforces protections on POSIX semaphore
       objects and methods. The Biba, MLS, Test, and Stub policies have been
       updated. (Not yet merged)

       The TrustedBSD MAC Framework's central kernel implementation previously
       existed in one large file, src/sys/kern/kern_mac.c. It is now broken out
       into a series of by-service files in src/sys/security/mac.
       src/sys/security/mac/mac_internal.h specifies APIs, structures, and
       variables used internally across the different parts of the framework.
       System calls and registration still occur in kern_mac.c. This permits more
       easy maintenance of locally added object types. (Merged)

       Break out mac_policy_list into two different lists, one to hold "static"
       policy modules -- ones loaded prior to kernel initialization, and that may
       not be loaded, and one for "dynamic" policy modules -- that are either
       loaded later in boot, or may be unloaded. Perform less synchronization
       when using static modules only, reducing overhead for entering the
       framework when not using dynamic modules. (Merged)

       Introduced a kernel option, MAC_STATIC, which permits only statically
       registered policy modules to be loaded at boot or compiled into the
       kernel. When running with MAC_STATIC, no internal synchronization is
       required in the MAC Framework, lowering the cost of MAC Framework entry
       points. (Not yet merged)

       Make mac.h userland API definition C++-happy. (Merged)

       Created mac_support.4, a declaration of what kernel and userspace features
       are (and aren't) supported with MAC. (Not yet merged)

       Stale SEBSD module deleted from MAC branch; SEBSD module will solely be
       developed in the SEBSD branch from now on. See the TrustedBSD SEBSD report
       for more detail.

       Use only pointers to 'struct label' in various kernel objects outside the
       MAC Framework, and use a zone allocator to allocate label storage. This
       permits label structures to have their size changed more easily without
       changing the normal kernel ABI. This also lowers the non-MAC memory
       overhead for base kernel structures. This also simplifies handling and
       storage of labels in some of the edge cases where labels are exposed
       outside of the Framework, such as in execve(). Include files outside of
       the Framework are substantially simplified and now frequently no longer
       require _label.h. (Merged)

       Giant pushed down into the MAC Framework in a number of MAC related system
       calls, as it is not required for almost all of the MAC Framework. The
       exceptions are areas where the Framework interacts with pieces of the
       kernel still covered by MAC and relies on Giant to protect label storage
       in those structures. However, even in those cases, we can push Giant in
       quite a bit past label internalization/externalization/ storage
       allocation/deallocation. This substantially simplifies file
       descriptor-based MAC label system calls. (Merged)

       Remove unneeded mpo_destroy methods for Biba, LOMAC, and MLS since they
       cannot be unloaded. (Merged)

       Biba and MLS now use UMA zones for label allocation, which improves
       storage efficiency and enhances performance. (Merged)

       Bug fix for mac_prepare_type() to better support arbitrary object label
       definitions in /etc/mac.conf. (Merged)

       Labels added to 'struct inpcb', which represents TCP and UDP connections
       at the network layer. These labels cache socket labels at the application
       layer so that the labels may be accessed without application layer socket
       locks. When a label is changed on the socket, it is pushed down to the
       network layer through additional entry points. Biba, MLS policies updated
       to reflect this change. (Merged)

       SO_PEERLABEL socket option fixed so that peer socket labels may be
       retrieved. (Merged)

       mac_get_fd() learns to retrieve local socket labels, providing a simpler
       API than SO_LABEL with getsockopt(). mac_set_fd() learns about local
       socket labels, providing a simpler API than SO_LABEL with setsockopt().
       This also improves the ABI by not embedding a struct label in the socket
       option arguments, instead using the copyin/copyout routine for labels used
       for other object types. (Merged)

       Some function names simplified relating to socket options. (Merged)

       Library call mac_get_peer() implemented in terms of getsockopt() with
       SO_PEERLABEL to improve API/ABI for networked applications that speak MAC.
       (Merged)

       mac_create_cred() renamed to mac_cred_copy(), similar to other label
       copying methods, allowing policies to implement all the label copying
       method with a single function, if desired. This also provides a better
       semantic match for the crdup() behavior. (Merged)

       Support "id -M", similar to Trusted IRIX. (Not yet merged)

       TCP now uses the inpcb label when responding in timed wait, avoiding
       reaching up to the socket layer for label information in otherwise
       network-centric code.

       Numerous bug fixes, including assertion fixes in the MAC test policy
       relating to execution and relabeling. (Merged)

    Wireless Networking Support

       Contact: Sam Leffler <sam@FreeBSD.org>

       Work to merge the NetBSD and MADWIFI code bases is almost complete. This
       brings in new features and improves sharing which will enable future
       development. Support was added for 802.1x client authentication (using the
       open1x xsupplicant program) and for shared key authentication (both client
       and AP) which improves interopability with systems like OS X. The awi
       driver was updated to use the common 802.11 layer and the Atheros driver
       received extensive work to support hardware multi-rate retry. Kismet now
       works with the device-independent radiotap capture format. All of this
       work is still in Perforce but should be committed to CVS soon.

       Work has begun on full 802.1x and WPA support.

    • RFC: Weekly status update 17/01/04-23/01/04 (cvs-src summary)
      ... The report is written in reStructuredText, ... of data from the CVS mailing list into a easy-to-read ... Three new src committers were added this week. ... who has been working on `FreeBSD ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • FreeBSD Status Report for Oct-Dec 2003
      ... Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD ... Not much to report. ... Bluetooth kernel modules appear to be stable. ... concerns and some src committers are willing to commit the patches. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • FreeBSD Status Report for Oct-Dec 2003
      ... Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD ... Not much to report. ... Bluetooth kernel modules appear to be stable. ... concerns and some src committers are willing to commit the patches. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • FreeBSD 7.3, reboot after panic: double fault
      ... I've upgraded freebsd from 7.0 to 7.3 and all was good until I tryed to ... configure gre interface and use ipfw fwd. ... server got kernel panic at that moment. ... # kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.2 ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • RE: FreeBSD 4.11 P13 Crash
      ... I do not want to jinx myself, but after back revving to FreeBSD 4.9 + ... think it is related to IPFilter in conjunction with 4 Intel nics and/or ... page fault while in kernel mode ... Okay this time my kernel was recompiled so there are no modules to ...
      (freebsd-hackers)