resolver issues: AAAA in ipv4 only environment

From: Guido van Rooij (guido_at_gvr.org)
Date: 02/06/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:40:06 +0100
    To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

    It seems there are a lot of broken named's on the Internet that do not
    answer to AAAA queries.

    I have a noteboo that sometimes is, and sometimes is not IPv6
    connected. However, I do not want to wait too long when on IPv4 only
    networks. So I would like to eiother have a resolveroption to
    specify not to ask for AAAA records, or have a smart resolver
    that figures out that it doesn't need to query AAAA records when
    only link local IPv6 addresses are found.

    I do not want to carrie around 2 kernels (one with and the other without
    ipv6).

    I'd like to have see some comments on this...

    -Guido