resolver issues: AAAA in ipv4 only environment

From: Guido van Rooij (guido_at_gvr.org)
Date: 02/06/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:40:06 +0100
    To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

    It seems there are a lot of broken named's on the Internet that do not
    answer to AAAA queries.

    I have a noteboo that sometimes is, and sometimes is not IPv6
    connected. However, I do not want to wait too long when on IPv4 only
    networks. So I would like to eiother have a resolveroption to
    specify not to ask for AAAA records, or have a smart resolver
    that figures out that it doesn't need to query AAAA records when
    only link local IPv6 addresses are found.

    I do not want to carrie around 2 kernels (one with and the other without
    ipv6).

    I'd like to have see some comments on this...

    -Guido

    • Re: Strange IPv6 DNS lookups
      ... most likely the result of the numerous IPv6 queries. ... Subject: Strange IPv6 DNS lookups ...
      (RedHat)
    • RE: Strange IPv6 DNS lookups
      ... Subject: Strange IPv6 DNS lookups ... record queries does not return a valid answer, ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: IPv4 & IPv6 Queries
      ... records into your zone for the same name, and then the client makes *separate* queries for each. ... If you want a lot more detail on the process, check out RFC 3493, which describes the socket interface for IPv6, in particular the getaddrinfolibrary routine which can fetch IPv4 and/or IPv6 addresses for a given node name or service name, and also RFC 3484, which goes into detail as to how the client will decide which source and destination addresses to use when communicating with other nodes, once the IPv4 and/or IPv6 addressare obtained from DNS. ...
      (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
    • IPv6 Related Issue (BIND, Sendmail)?
      ... (running BIND 9.3.2). ... about 35-40 queries per second, ... it appears that if we start the server with ... on any IPv6 sockets on the system (there is no IPv6 IP bound to our ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: http://www.ntp.org/ => a blank page?
      ... After some digging around we found out the problem occurs only if the DNS ... server also returns an IPv6 address for this site. ... A good solution would be to let the local DNS server discard IPv6 ... The real load on the root servers are the garbage queries. ...
      (comp.protocols.time.ntp)