Re: lock order reversal and swap problems

From: Jon Noack (noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu)
Date: 04/09/04

    Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 06:26:25 -0500
    To: Artem Koutchine <matrix@itlegion.ru>

    (bugs@ and hardware@ removed)

    Please read the following before posting again (including the
    appropriate list-specific sections):
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-CHARTERS

    On 4/7/2004 11:25 AM, Artem Koutchine wrote:
    > This evening, before going hove i decided to load-test the new server.
    > I remind the server is:
    > dual xeon 2.66, 2GB ECC ram, supermicro x5dpeg2 mb,
    > 3ware 8506-4LP sata radi controller, 4 sata seagate disks,
    > eveyrthing is install in a RAID5 array.
    >
    > I run:
    > 3 bonnies in a loop,
    > 4 byteneches in a loop,
    > 6 my own perl scripts to test the memory. Each allocated about 256MB
    > ran, fill it with somethingm then free and do it over and over again.
    >
    > After 3 minutes of running i saw this:
    >
    > Apr 7 20:16:34 new kernel: lock order reversal
    > Apr 7 20:16:34 new kernel: 1st 0xc79446b4 vm object (vm object) @
    > /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1313
    > Apr 7 20:16:35 new kernel: 2nd 0xc08b9e00 swap_pager swhash (swap_pager
    > swhash) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1803
    > Apr 7 20:16:35 new kernel: 3rd 0xc7898294 vm object (vm object) @
    > /usr/src/sys/vm/uma_core.c:886

    It's harmless. This is answered in more detail in a response to your
    second post on this topic.

    > and then hundreds and thousands:
    >
    > Apr 7 20:20:29 new kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
    > Apr 7 20:20:32 new last message repeated 44 times
    >
    > while actually there were 500MB of swap space left.
    >
    > What is going on?

    I don't know about this.

    Jon Noack

    • Re: Threading and returning values
      ... The e.Result is not coming out of the loop. ... I have now got my SMTP server apparently running correctly now, ... BackgroundWorker bw = new BackgroundWorker; ... // Note that in the Click event handler, ...
    • Re: Brian Kernighan, maybe Im not worthy, maybe Im scum
      ... If you think I'm giving a verbose pseud write access to my server, ... interface appears in C Sharp as consisting of sbyte arrays. ... failed to see that a for loop is not just a while loop because a while ... chilling effect on freedom of speech. ...
      (comp.programming)
    • Re: multiple tcp server and client execution with close problem
      ... Ignore the loop for accept. ... for acceptafter settting socket to blocking mode. ... Client side: ... execute main to run server 3 times: ...
      (comp.unix.programmer)
    • Re: client-server network
      ... sent by server didn't reach the client...... ... nRet = WSAStartup; ... server scoket, and this would be binding some other random socket value, apparently the ... If you make this a server loop, it should be 'continue', not 'return'. ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Odd ADO.Resultset Buffer Problem?
      ... I am working with code I did not write for a web app that used to run ... on an Access database. ... On the new server, one of the queries is failing in an odd way. ... After running through this loop, which prints out all 47 column names ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db)