Re: lock order reversal and swap problems

From: Jon Noack (noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu)
Date: 04/09/04

    Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 06:26:25 -0500
    To: Artem Koutchine <matrix@itlegion.ru>

    (bugs@ and hardware@ removed)

    Please read the following before posting again (including the
    appropriate list-specific sections):
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-CHARTERS

    On 4/7/2004 11:25 AM, Artem Koutchine wrote:
    > This evening, before going hove i decided to load-test the new server.
    > I remind the server is:
    > dual xeon 2.66, 2GB ECC ram, supermicro x5dpeg2 mb,
    > 3ware 8506-4LP sata radi controller, 4 sata seagate disks,
    > eveyrthing is install in a RAID5 array.
    >
    > I run:
    > 3 bonnies in a loop,
    > 4 byteneches in a loop,
    > 6 my own perl scripts to test the memory. Each allocated about 256MB
    > ran, fill it with somethingm then free and do it over and over again.
    >
    > After 3 minutes of running i saw this:
    >
    > Apr 7 20:16:34 new kernel: lock order reversal
    > Apr 7 20:16:34 new kernel: 1st 0xc79446b4 vm object (vm object) @
    > /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1313
    > Apr 7 20:16:35 new kernel: 2nd 0xc08b9e00 swap_pager swhash (swap_pager
    > swhash) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1803
    > Apr 7 20:16:35 new kernel: 3rd 0xc7898294 vm object (vm object) @
    > /usr/src/sys/vm/uma_core.c:886

    It's harmless. This is answered in more detail in a response to your
    second post on this topic.

    > and then hundreds and thousands:
    >
    > Apr 7 20:20:29 new kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
    > Apr 7 20:20:32 new last message repeated 44 times
    >
    > while actually there were 500MB of swap space left.
    >
    > What is going on?

    I don't know about this.

    Jon Noack