Re: ASUS P4P800 doesn't reboot

From: Elliot Finley (lists_at_efinley.com)
Date: 04/21/04

    To: "Gavin Atkinson" <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
    Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:56:44 -0600

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Gavin Atkinson" <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
    > On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 01:11, Elliot Finley wrote:
    > > I have several systems using the ASUS P4P800 MB. When I issue a
    'reboot',
    > > they shut down cleanly. They then stop after the 'uptime' line and
    hang.

    > > If I remember correctly, this started happening between 5.2-R and
    5.2.1-R.

    > > I have a test box that I can take down at any time. I just need some
    > > guidance on how to troubleshoot this.
    >
    > Is this a SCSI based machine?

    no

    > I'm trying to solve this same problem on a
    > machine I have with an Adaptec 7899 SCSI card and a Mylex 352 raid card
    > - and have found mine to be hanging while shutting down the SCSI
    > subsystem. How long have you left it to reboot before giving up waiting?

    12 hours

    > Can you apply the attached patch and see what messages are given on
    > shutdown? Also, it is possible that this patch will change things for
    > you - there are two things that the SCSI shutdown routine can hang on
    > that will now time out after a few minutes with the patch. Patch is
    > against top-of-tree -CURRENT. It's worth applying even if you don'y use
    > SCSI because it adds a few printf's to other places too.

    I'll let you know what I get.

    Elliot

    • [10/18] x86: ASUS P4S800 reboot=bios quirk
      ... 2.6.27-stable review patch. ... reboot quirk patch. ... the reboot hang. ... Manufacturer: System Manufacturer ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • [31/90] x86: ASUS P4S800 reboot=bios quirk
      ... 2.6.31-stable review patch. ... reboot quirk patch. ... the reboot hang. ... Manufacturer: System Manufacturer ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • [021/151] x86: ASUS P4S800 reboot=bios quirk
      ... 2.6.32-stable review patch. ... reboot quirk patch. ... the reboot hang. ... Manufacturer: System Manufacturer ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: ASUS P4P800 doesnt reboot
      ... They then stop after the 'uptime' line and hang. ... Is this a SCSI based machine? ... Can you apply the attached patch and see what messages are given on ... you - there are two things that the SCSI shutdown routine can hang on ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch
      ... as the patch discussed in this thread, ... If people agree in that course also about a clean, common ... > Redhat's and SuSE's changes into the vanilla 2.4 SCSI stack? ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-scsi" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)