Re: -RC2 needs BootMngr to control certail partition layout

From: Emanuel Strobl (Emanuel.Strobl_at_gmx.net)
Date: 11/01/04

    To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
    Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:33:45 +0100

    Am Montag, 1. November 2004 17:09 schrieb Patrick Tracanelli:
    > I've noted a courious behaviour w/ standard boot code. I've just
    > installed, as usual, a "real life" testing enviroment, the partition
    > layout is disposed this way:
    >
    > /dev/ad0s1b none
    > /dev/ad0s2b none
    > /dev/ad0s1a /
    > /dev/ad0s1d /tmp
    > /dev/ad0s1e /usr
    > /dev/ad0s2d /usr/home
    > /dev/ad0s1f /var
    > /dev/ad0s1g /var/qmail
    > /dev/ad0s2e /usr/local/vpopmail
    >
    > If I install the standard boot code via sysinstall the first reboot
    > after installation does not boot the system. It shows up a "invalid
    > partition table" message and stops.

    This is a known bug in sysinstall, you're creating two slices with id 165
    (FreeBSD) and sysinstall wrongly sets both active.
    See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=72895

    Just use fdisk -u from the command line and if it asks you weather you want to
    change the active partition, say yes and type 1, then write the new table.

    -Harry