Re: More running-with-scissors and fsck.

From: David Gilbert (dave_at_daveg.ca)
Date: 11/03/04

    Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:19:25 -0500
    To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>

    Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

    >In message <41887A33.2060608@dclg.ca>, David Gilbert writes:
    >

    >>Well... the recoverdisk is a cool tool. I can see it coming in handy
    >>many times. While there isn't much documentation, I've tended to use it
    >>by creating a vnode md disk of exactly the right size to recover the
    >>partition in question.
    >>

    >You could just have used a regular file for it and connected it to a
    >md later on.

    It won't create the file by itself. I created the md disk because I
    didn't take the time to read the code, I suppose. It would make people
    "feel" better if it created the target file when it didn't exist.

    Dave.

    • Re: copying a disk with ignoring errors
      ... amongst the corrupted data. ... Some student lost some important data due to disk failure. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: copying a disk with ignoring errors
      ... Allow me to continue this thread with a question about a method to erase a disk that has bad sectors. ... I bought a 1TB hard disk and will do the recoverdisk job soon. ... I also found by searching archives, that ffsrecov, now ffs2recov, might be a tool for partially recovering a disk. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: fsck --run-with-scissors
      ... Brooks Davis wrote: ... >If you've got somewhere else you could put a copy of the disk, PHK ... >committed a program called recoverdisk to current recently. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: More running-with-scissors and fsck.
      ... the recoverdisk is a cool tool. ... I can see it coming in handy ... While there isn't much documentation, ... I created the md disk because I ...
      (freebsd-current)