Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

From: Craig Rodrigues (rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org)
Date: 11/07/04

    Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:41:14 -0500
    To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org

    On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 04:55:10PM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
    > > some time ago there was a report on "using svn in fbsd developement" on
    > > hackers@ iirc, any news in opinions on using RCS in fbsd?
    >
    > I'll guess that they are quite satisfied using Perforce. This is a
    > very good and supported version control system, and IMO Subversion is
    > not yet up to par with it. Arch is quite nice, but a completely
    > different approach, seemingly better suited to de-central development
    > such as with Linux.

    Well, if everyone is throwing around ideas for their favorite
    RCS, then how about Bitkeeper? It is quite popular
    in Linux kernel development circles, and was designed
    with distributed development in mind. I've seen it used
    successfully for sub-projects in the Linux kernel (i.e. LK-SCTP) which
    was then merged into the main Linux kernel.
    This seems similar to how Perforce is used by FreeBSD developers.

    On their website, Bitkeeper has comparisons to other systems
    (RCS, CVS, Perforce, ClearCase):
    http://www.bitkeeper.com/Comparisons.html

    While it might not change anyone's mind, it is interesting
    to be aware of, especially since it is popular in Linux circles.

    Hey, if Perforce works fine, then why change it? :)

    --
    Craig Rodrigues
    http://crodrigues.org

    • Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards
      ... >>very good and supported version control system, ... > RCS, then how about Bitkeeper? ... > was then merged into the main Linux kernel. ... > This seems similar to how Perforce is used by FreeBSD developers. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Project proposal -- Forth project organiser
      ... I've used Perforce for 10 years at three different companies, ... I don't know if Trac 0.10 works better ... Subversion has the atomic commits of Perforce (that CVS and RCS ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Re: How Javac works
      ... > (RCS, SCCS) or client-server ... That should read "client-server (CVS, Perforce)". ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)