Re: USB problems

From: Julian Elischer (julian_at_elischer.org)
Date: 01/01/05

    Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:11:31 -0800
    To: vova@fbsd.ru

    Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
    > , 31/12/2004 05:05 -1000, Randy Bush :
    >
    >>possibly related?
    >>
    >>just so you know, on a thinkpad t41 with any current in the last
    >>few weeks, i kernel panic on boot if a usb device is not plugged
    >>in. turning off acpi also allows boot. see
    >>
    >> <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/041215.crash>
    >>
    >>i can help debug if anyone is on the trail
    >

    > I have also problems with USB on recent current (previous was few weeks
    > old).

    the most salient thiing you could do is find the date of the problem by checking
    out sys/dev/usb on dec 9 and seeing if that fixes it (you said dec 9 was ok)
    and if so, gradually moving it forward using a binary search and narrowing in on
    the commit that broke it.

    Is it an ohci or uhci (or ehci) usb inerface?

    • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ USB BOOT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ... boot external sata on usb ... usb boot disk download ... which usb drives will boot dell ...
      (sci.psychology.personality)
    • Re: soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem
      ... > What messages are you getting from boot log and dmesg? ... ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries ... RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 64000K size 1024 blocksize ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2 ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
      ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: USB key requirement.
      ... I figured that after the root partition is mounted (nfs), ... wondering what good means the usb key in this case. ... continue the boot sequence. ... the key would be checked right after the block device is ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: UPDATE: El Torito Boot CD - USB CD-ROM
      ... There should be nothing preventing you from booting from USB CD-ROM as long ... Basically you have to make sure you included USB 2.0 boot component in your ... I can boot other CDs including Windows PE created CDs from the USB CD ROM ... What is different about running Windows XPE from a USB CDROM as opposed ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)