fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3166749884 bytes for inoinfo

From: Kris Kennaway (kris_at_obsecurity.org)
Date: 02/27/05

    Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:05:23 -0800
    To: current@FreeBSD.org

    A recent panic left my FS with some serious corruption, which fsck is
    unable to repair:

    # fsck_ufs -b 376512 -fy /var
    Alternate super block location: 376512
    ** /dev/twed0s1e
    ** Last Mounted on
    ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3166749884 bytes for inoinfo

    (same holds for any superblock I've tried).

    How can I recover from this, short of running newfs?

    Kris

    • Re: Really no one knows ?!
      ... situation as you, fsck was not working. ... running newfs with the -N flag on the slice. ... Booted from the Fixit disk. ... Alternate super block location: 160 ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Strange fsck behaviour with alternated superblock
      ... I have a strange behaviour with using fsck with a alternated supperblock: ... ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups ... Do fsck with alternated superblock: ... Alternate super block location: 109504. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • (no subject)
      ... situation as you, fsck was not working. ... running newfs with the -N flag on the slice. ... Booted from the Fixit disk. ... Alternate super block location: 160 ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • filesystem corruption with bad super block....
      ... When I try fsck on a filesystem I get the below: ... BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG ... USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; ... I then tried to use the alternate super block: ...
      (SunManagers)
    • UPDATE: filesystem corruption with bad super block
      ... alternate super block of 32 - which I've already tried..... ... filesystem corruption with bad super block.... ... When I try fsck on a filesystem I get the below: ... USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; ...
      (SunManagers)