libmemstat(3) - Library for monitoring kernel memory use

From: Robert Watson (rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 07/14/05

    Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:50:04 +0100 (BST)
    To: current@FreeBSD.org

    I've just committed libmemstat(3), a library to support user space
    applications monitoring kernel memory allocation. This is intended to be
    the new back-end to several existing tools, including:

       vmstat -m
       vmstat -z
       netstat -mb

    However, it's also easy to use to build new tools. For example,
    memtop(8), which provides a top(1)-like interface for monitoring kernel
    memory allocation. A highly enlightening set of output to see on a busy
    system. :-)

    I've not yet committed the changes to vmstat, netstat, etc, which will
    follow in the next few days once things settle out from the commits that
    went in to support it. The older sysctls to support older vmstat/netstat
    will remain in place for some period of time while things settle also.

    I've put some sample code for using libmemstat(3) up at the following URL:

         http://www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/libmemstat/

    This includes the above-mentioned memtop(8), and a sample memstat(8).
    Since I'm not an ncurses programmer, I've not attempted to use it. The
    foundations are there for people who do want to build more spiffy
    monitoring tools though. This might also provide a useful back-end for an
    SNMP module monitoring kernel memory use.

    FYI: the libmemstat(3) API will probably change some in the next few weeks
    based on feedback I receive about how usable or unusable it is.

    Thanks,

    Robert N M Watson