Re: identd with FreeBSD 6.0?

From: Kevin Lamothe (kevin_at_animenfo.com)
Date: 09/30/05

    Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:01:15 -0400
    To: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>

    Doug Barton wrote:

    >Kevin Lamothe wrote:
    >

    >>Hey there, I've tried FreeBSD 6.0-Beta 1 up till 5, so far I cannot get
    >>identd to work properly. the daemon runs but it doesn't reply the
    >>username when services such as irc request it.
    >>
    >>I've tried oidentd and pidentd. Any ideas?
    >>

    >The two most common problems here are a firewall, and/or lack of permissions
    >in /etc/hosts.allow. Also, were you aware that the native inetd contains an
    >ident service? Do your logs show any errors?
    >
    >Doug

    Yeah I know the inetd one works, but none of the standalone daemons seem
    to work with FreeBSD6, I'm using the latest oidentd on my FreeBSD 5
    server. I used the same config on both of them.

    Theres no firewall on the machines its self, and hosts.allow and deny
    are blank.

    • Re: [SSHd] Limiting access from authorized IPs
      ... cable modem and windows hosts broadcast spam on an ISP's ... It's a worse illusion to believe the firewall is going to help. ... quite easy to add a daemon to your server, ... I haven't used inetd in years. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • [HPADM] SUMMARY - Patch install issues
      ... I restart the swagentd. ... Is it the case that the machine is behind a firewall the with only ssh being ... A Remote Procedure Call to a daemon has failed. ... ERROR: swverify of depot failed. ...
      (HP-UX-Admin)
    • Re: firewall configuring
      ... However, I can see one need for a daemon, though wonder whether it does ... interrupting connections and while keeping the firewall up. ... restarting shorewall would take the firewall down during the restart. ... I'd vote for making shorewall the default firewall in Fedora instead. ...
      (Fedora)
    • ident daemon: oIdentd creating a lot of processes
      ... what puzzled me is when im starting the daemon using the script ... CPU resources will turn upside down rapidly from 90+% idle to always 0% idle ... is this normal for those who are using oidentd as ident daemon? ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Firewall security: Re: Problems with simple Samba file share
      ... >>There's a buffer overflow bug in the foobah daemon. ... >>discovers it and begins using it to get into servers using foobah. ... the firewall will be duplicating a configuration setting ... extra security by allowing only the ip's that should be associated with ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)