Re: 6.0-RC1: reboot when trying to load X.org

From: Flavio Pimentel Silvestrow (bozo_at_porunga.homeip.net)
Date: 10/15/05

    Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:09:34 -0300
    To: current@freebsd.org

    Same problem here. X.org worked fine on 5.4 (with DRI enabled),
    and now it reboots on 6.0RC1 when trying to load X (with or
    without DRI). Vesa driver works fine.

    The video card is a 'SiS300/305/630 GUI Accelerator+3D', according
    to pciconf.

    Relevant lines on the kernel:
    device agp
    options COMPAT_FREEBSD5

    Cheers.

    On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:50:43PM +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:48:43 -0300
    > Felipe openglx <openglx@StarByte.net> wrote:

    > > Hi all,

    > > this is my first post, and I'm quite new to FreeBSD. Don't push me
    > > too hard :)

    > > Last night I've upgraded a (well) running FreeBSD-5.4 install to
    > > 6.0-RC1 and had it running without problems. Well, mind you, ALMOST
    > > without problems.

    > > When trying to start X.org server (using GDM, using "startx" command
    > > line, or even using "X" command line), my machine freezes for a few
    > > seconds before rebooting instantly. My first thought was that the
    > > X.org port wasn't compiled for 6.0-RC1, so I recompiled it. Nope, it
    > > still crashes. So I ran X with verbose level 9, and got this (if this
    > > isn't the right place to paste large text blocks, SORRY! Just tell me
    > > where should I read the mailing-lists etiquete):

    > Just a thought but did you compile your kernel with:
    > options COMPAT_FREEBSD5
    > ?

    > > I had to disable GDM auto-start, otherwise the machine would be
    > > rebooting itself everytime. Any idea on how we should work on that
    > > X.org problem? Note that the machine was working perfectly on
    > > FreeBSD-5.4, FreeBSD-5.2.1, Linux (Debian 3.0 and 3.1, Slackware 9,
    > > 9.1, 10), Windows (XP, 98), and FreeeDOS.
    > > If more information if needed, I can provide.
    > > Thanks in advance.

    • RE: unable to load windows at reboot
      ... unable to load windows at reboot ... BIOS will load and run and then it will get ... >comptuter begins the rebooting again. ... >loading up the desktop. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
    • Re: Trouble after a System State restore
      ... The DC wasn't rebooting because Active Directory ... >failed to load. ... >that I see in keeping the KCC Inter-Site Topology ...
    • RE: Cant load at all!
      ... >Subject: Can't load at all! ... >My computer keeps rebooting on the black screen. ... >how to get this fix. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
    • Re: Update Manager is gone?!?
      ... Then when rebooting it stated the OS couldn't launch ... of yet it doesn't load. ... Note command. ... report back results noted in terminal window. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • unable to load windows at reboot
      ... On rebooting, BIOS will load and run and then it will get ... to the Windows 2000 Professional screen where it is ... loading up the desktop. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)