Re: Tracking down em problem

From: Eric Anderson (anderson_at_centtech.com)
Date: 11/02/05

    Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:51:24 -0600
    To: Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>

    Sven Willenberger wrote:
    > FreeBSD6.0-RC1 (Wed Oct 26 13:31:21 EDT 2005)
    >
    > I seem to have an issue with losing connections to an em interface
    > during process of heavy IO load. There are several variables here so I
    > am hoping for some guidelines to help troubleshoot this.
    >
    > I have a postgresql server (8.0.4) set up on an i386 system. The data
    > directory is on its own partition (which is actually a gstripe/gmirror
    > setup -- see the footnote after my problem description).
    >
    > I have enabled a replication system from another server. When I started
    > relication there was a large amount of data that had to be fed to this
    > server via the em0 interface. During this process, while ssh'ed to the
    > box, my connection would just hang for a few moments, then it would
    > recover. However, if I cd to the data directory (stripe/mirror) and
    > start ls -alrt several times, the connection actually gets broken; not
    > only my ssh connection but the replication connection from the master
    > server is broken.
    >
    > I have tried to set debug.mpsafenet=0 in /boot/loader.conf to no avail
    > -- the same issue happens. Preemption is enabled in the kernel, as is
    > sched_4bsd. I don't really know how to proceed at this point to try and
    > troubleshoot this issue: as it stands now, it is most definitely a show
    > stopper for the purposes of this server.

    I've seen something similar on recent 5.4-STABLE, also using emX
    devices. I have 3 Dell 1850's showing the same exact issue, and a few
    1850's that are not. The ones that are not, are 5.4-RELEASE, and the
    ones that do, are running 5.4-STABLE. In dmesg, I see a warning like this:

    Nov 1 19:56:06 hal kernel: em1: Link is up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

    I don't see a 'link is down', just 'Link is up'. One machine I've seen
    this on repeatedly is from about August 16th.

    I'm using SCHED_4BSD, SMP, and most of the other GENERIC settings.

    If anyone wants more details, let me know. I have a spare Dell 1850 I
    can play with.

    Eric

    • Re: Problem configuring NAT to share Internet Connection
      ... One of my NICs in the server connect to a DSL ... modem and it connects to internet. ... > interface, that connects to the DSL modem, LAN interface, that connects to ... >> 7.- To connect server to Internet, I create a new network connection. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
    • Re: Cannot get NAT to route in RRAS
      ... ADSL Link was set as the Public interface in NAT, ... The static route also adds in fine using the ADSL Link interface, ... separate DNS server handles client’s requests, ... > Internet connection. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
    • Re: Design issue with constructor arguments
      ... had just the server and the messager processor and all was good. ... class which manages a single socket connection on a single port. ... the server also provides the client interface for allowing those ... columns....and the constructors parameters are dependent on which way ...
      (comp.object)
    • Re: VPN Disconnects
      ... Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server ... A demand-dial Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) connection between ... does not match the remote server's Demand-Dial interface. ...
      (microsoft.public.isa.vpn)
    • Re: What signal tells my app that my DHCP lease just renewed?
      ... A client application that has a long-established connection. ... The redirection server would maintain a TCP connection ... A server application that is bound to a specific interface. ... In the case of network reconfiguration (such as an interface being ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)