Generic Kernel API

From: Marcin Jessa (lists_at_yazzy.org)
Date: 11/09/05

    Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:28:55 +0000
    To: FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>

    Hi guys.

    I just came across an article of Mr. Greg Kroah-Hartman in his blog
    http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/03/
    about generic kernel API which could make it possible for hardware
    vendors to supply us with their own drivers.
    To be honest I disagree with Greg and consider this a good idea.
    Especially if we had a system which could isolate each device driver
    running as a separate user-mode process so it would not bring down the
    entire OS in case the driver was buggy.
    An API like that would both boost up FreeBSD's popularity and make it
    possible to use a way larger variety of hardware.
    I mean, lets not fool ourselves, the majority of hardware vendors is
    not interested in revealing of their secrets publishing freely
    avaliable documentation of their products.
    We could have a new choice to use (or not) binary drivers the
    same way the popular commercial O.Ss do.
    What do you guys think? What is the view of the
    FreeBSD community on this metter?
    Could this be concerned as a good idea ?

    Cheers,
    Marcin Jessa.