Generic Kernel API

From: Marcin Jessa (lists_at_yazzy.org)
Date: 11/09/05

    Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:28:55 +0000
    To: FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>

    Hi guys.

    I just came across an article of Mr. Greg Kroah-Hartman in his blog
    http://www.kroah.com/log/2005/11/03/
    about generic kernel API which could make it possible for hardware
    vendors to supply us with their own drivers.
    To be honest I disagree with Greg and consider this a good idea.
    Especially if we had a system which could isolate each device driver
    running as a separate user-mode process so it would not bring down the
    entire OS in case the driver was buggy.
    An API like that would both boost up FreeBSD's popularity and make it
    possible to use a way larger variety of hardware.
    I mean, lets not fool ourselves, the majority of hardware vendors is
    not interested in revealing of their secrets publishing freely
    avaliable documentation of their products.
    We could have a new choice to use (or not) binary drivers the
    same way the popular commercial O.Ss do.
    What do you guys think? What is the view of the
    FreeBSD community on this metter?
    Could this be concerned as a good idea ?

    Cheers,
    Marcin Jessa.

    • Re: CompactFlash and Solaris[9-10]
      ... > If the hardware vendors treat the details of how to talk to their hardware ... Sun does still have enough weight to throw around or at least entice HW ... vendors to release the drivers. ... Personally I couldn't care less if all the drivers were just ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: HAL must die!
      ... I think you have failed to think your entire "hardware ... where FreeBSD lacks drivers for a given piece of hardware ... hardware manufacturers and vendors are part of the reason. ... Are you aware that patents are *published*? ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
      ... >>Every time we buy a piece of hardware with binary only drivers we admit ... Only when we refuse to buy it, ... Boycotting doesn't cost the vendors ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Generic Kernel API
      ... > I just came across an article of Mr. Greg Kroah-Hartman in his blog ... > about generic kernel API which could make it possible for hardware ... > vendors to supply us with their own drivers. ... > possible to use a way larger variety of hardware. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
      ... > Indeed a single centralized complete online hardware database (with hardware ... > pressure on vendors. ... You're the ones who know which drivers you're currently working on. ... i have also converted a fair share of windows users to linux, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)