Re: CPU utilization

Randall Stewart <rrs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I have three machines.

1) stewart - running 7.0 (2.8gig p4 dual core)
2) bsd1 - running 7.0 (2.8gig Xeon Hyperthreaded)
3) bsd2 - running 6.2 (2.4gig Xeon Hyperthreaded)

Now if I run tests that max out cpu (at least I think
they do).. I see <1> or <2> drag down to 1% idle/ even
0 %idle.

However <3> never drops below 50% idle.. it preforms
a lot slower too.. which I expect since it is somewhat
of an older processor.. but in running say
top -S I see CPU 1 always running the idle process...

By default, 6.2 doesn't schedule processes on the virtual core on a
hyperthreading CPU.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@xxxxxx

  • [GIT PULL] Scheduler updates for v2.6.36
    ... adjust when cpu_active and cpuset configurations are updated during cpu on/offlining ... Change nohz idle load balancing logic to push model ... static inline int cpuset_init ... * In the semi idle case, use the nearest busy cpu for migrating timers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [RFC] (How to) Let idle CPUs sleep
    ... turns out that if we restrict the amount of time idle cpus are ... cpu sleeps. ... * local timer ticks. ... +int idle_balance_retry ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Too many timer interrupts in NO_HZ
    ... CPU in an SMP server. ... However I am interested to see CPU idle times for couple minutes on ... There are way too many timer interrupts even though the CPUs have ... entered tickless idle loop. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [patch 4/7] sched: Change nohz ilb logic from pull to push model
    ... all idle CPUs indeed go into nohz mode. ... The kickee CPU does the idle load balancing on behalf of all idle CPUs ... Kicked cpu can be nearest idle core to the busy core. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Relationship between load average and CPU busy or CPU idle
    ... > Is there some kind of relationship between the load average figure and CPU ... Because Unix expects disk I/O to finish really soon ... idle time is computed by looking at what the processors are ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)