Re: msk watchdog timeout

On 5/20/07, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 09:39:54PM -0500, Li-Lun Leland Wang wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:41:24AM +0800, Li-Lun Wang (Leland Wang) wrote:
> > > I just installed 7.0-current as of May 3 on my new computer that comes
> > > with an on-board Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet. Every now and then
> > > if the network throughput comes near several hundred kbytes, I get the
> > > msk0 watchdog timeout messages:
> > >
> > > kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout
> > > msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering
> > >
> > > Although it says recovering, the interface never comes back alive.
> >
> >The above message indicates the driver sent all pending transmission
> >requests but the driver didn't receive corresponding Tx completion
> >interrupts. Not recovering from the watchdog timeout means there are
> >another issues on the driver. However as disabling MSI fixed the
> >issue, I guess it's not fault of msk(4) and it comes from bad/broken
> >MSI implementation of your system. I guess it's time to add your
> >chipset to a PCI quirk table in order to blacklist it.
>
> I do reckon that MSI doesn't work on earlier Intel chipsets. Mine is
> P965 (on a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.3), which I suppose is recent
> enough to support MSI, isn't it? Or could there be other problems

Using latest chipsets does not necessarily guarantee working MSI.

I see. I think we should maybe add P965 to the PCI quirk list for
broken MSI, then?

> possible?

Yes. But I couldn't find possible issue on msk(4) yet.

Maybe I was not clear enough. Could there be something else that
causes MSI to not working correctly other than the chipset? I was
just wondering why I didn't see too many broken MSI reports if most
Intel chipsets are broken.

-- llwang

P.S. I do greatly appreciate your efforts on msk(4).