Re: RELENG_6_2 broken on latest -HEAD

On 5/24/07, Tom Evans <tevans.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 09:52 -0400, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 04:23:53PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On 2007-05-24 15:52, LI Xin <delphij@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > It seems that we can not build RELENG_6_2 world with -HEAD userland
> > > anymore, after the gcc upgrade. So the only way to build RELENG_6_2
> > > releases is to create a chroot environment for now?
> >
> > I think this was never really ``supported''. It may work, but if it
> > breaks nobody is going to fix it.
> >
> > What *is* supported and should always work is building CURRENT on the
> > latest RELENG_X branch. But what you are doing is the reverse...
>
> The problem is that running a tinderbox on a CURRENT host and building a
> RELENG_X branch is often done. I understand it's not really supported
> but it is a very nice thing to be able to do.
>
> Currently, a RELENG_6 build for a ports tinderbox running on CURRENT is
> broken. :(
>
> -- WXS

Isn't it the other way around? You couldn't have a tinderbox building
for 7.0 running on a 6.2 host, but its common practise to have tinderbox
build 6.2 packages whilst running on 7.0 host.

It's never supported to run newer userland on older kernel
(see archive on current@ few days ago from me).
In fact, after recent thread library changes in current, you
can not run 7.0 userland on a 6.2 kernel.

Regards,
Rong-En Fan