Re: nfe(4) not working on asus m2n32sli-deluxe

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 02:58:54PM -0300, Mario Ferreira wrote:
Hi,

I tried installing FreeBSD 7.0-Current 200708 i386 snapshot on a
asus m2n32sli-deluxe wifi edition but I had some issues:

1) on board wlan adapter RTL8187_Wireless not supported
2) on board lan adapter NForce 590 SLI MCP does not work

The lack of support for RTL8187_Wireless is not a problem for now.
However, the NForce 590 SLI MCP Gigabit adapter is an issue.

The nfe(4) driver detects the network carrier but it never ever
detects the media settings. I tried hand setting media/mediaopt but it
did not help.

media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
status: active

Any suggestions? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Your dmesg shows Marvell 88E8116 PHY. It's known to me the PHY driver
, e1000phy(4), has unresolved issues. Some variants of the 88E8116 are
well supported by the e1000phy(4) driver but other variants are not.
ATM I have no idea what's the root cause of the issue due to lack of
PHY documentation and hardware. Some time ago, I've sent several
patches to a user who reported the issue to me but I've failed to make
it work. The only clue I know is ukphy(4) works for auto-sensing media
type(Manual media selection with ukphy(4) didn't work for 88E8116).
I vaguely guess it's related with power down mode of the MAC/PHY but
working without real hardware made it difficult for me to fix.
See PR kern/114086 for possible workaround.

Regards,
--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon