Re: FreeBSD 6.x and HP?

Thanks for the quick response Walter.

Previously, I have tried with CentOS 5.0 as a 64-bit install, and I have managed to get that installed fine. I have a few machines in production running with that configuration. As for RAM, in this case, it was with only 2 gig in a 2x1024MB DIMM kit. I'm not sure as to the status of EIST however, I beleive it is enabled. I will check this out tomorrow when I have a chance as the machines themselves aren't at my home. I'll also give 7.0 a whirl and see what the outcome of that is.

Cheers again for the response.

Walter Vaughan wrote:
Pete wrote:
Hey there,

I've been having a rather unusual, but very annoying issue with HP DL140 G3 Servers and FreeBSD. I thought I might give the mailing list a try to see what I can find and whether anyone else has had similar issues. When trying to install FreeBSD 6.x AMD64, as these boxes look to have the Woodcrest core Xeon CPUs (5100-series), which support EMT64T, I have encountered the following issues.

When using FreeBSD 6.1, I can't even get as far as sysinstall. The server tends to hang when initializing the drives just before it enters into the usual setup utility. When using FreeBSD 6.2, I can get into sysinstall, however, I get as far as configuring the slices and starting the install. After this has been done it begins extracting the data into the root directory, the machine then hangs. I don't believe it to be a hardware fault within a single machine as I have tried with a total of 3 of these machines with the same configuration.

My original thoughts were with the LSI RAID controller I have in the machine. However, If I use the i386 FreeBSD 6.2 CD to install, the installation completes fine, the server reboots and comes up normally. No issues with drives, etc.

So you are trying to install FreeBSD-AMD64? Hum. FreeBSD was first OS to support the AMD64 AFAIK. This has been working for a long time.

Does your bios have a setting to enable/disable 64 bit mode?

Did you check this setting in your bios?
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-amd64/2006-July/008613.html

You don't want 4 gigs of memory it that is what you have. Pull out a stick or add a stick. Download/burn/Pop in a Ubuntu AMD64 CD. See if that comes up fine. If that works, try a snapshot release of "current", but I don't think there is magic in 7.0 that 6.2 does not possess in this case.

Its going to be something simple.

  • Re: FreeBSD Security Survey
    ... It's hard to make a good case for automatic updates when manual ... I have three machines, all on different hardware ... Being a broke college student I don't think that's something I'd ever do to install updates on my boxes. ... I still say it would be best for all to ahve something in FreeBSD similar to Slackware where yuo just use wget or smoething to grab a patch .tgz file and use upgradepkg to install it without having to do this. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: management
    ... from FreeBSD to OpenBSD site-wide. ... Jr and the NetworkAdmin moved an IP from one server to ... If the machines are all similar then ... and then install the packages. ...
    (freebsd-isp)
  • Re: [opensuse] Opensuse 11.0 Boot iso
    ... [opensuse] Opensuse 11.0 Boot iso ... It's not just old machines. ... I recently paid almost $3k for a great little sub-note, the very latest of everything, that couldn't install the very latest freebsd, ... In that case it was because the built in dvd is really connected via usb internally, not ide or sata and the freebsd boot loader chokes on it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Ports system documentation.
    ... I multiboot with Ubuntu and FreeBSD ... Have they *tried* a Debian distro once in their lives? ... Different machines ... It is a character based install, but it was the only one I ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Licence caanot be authorised on new PC
    ... Microsoft has no de-activation system. ... install it on another computer. ... Office 2007 Ultimate working correctly on 3 machines, ... Can you please definitively clarify whether the licence covers 2 or 3 ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)