- From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:12:12 -0400
On this 256th day of 2007, it is my great pleasure to announce the completion of my GSoC2007 project on porting the sysctl hardware sensors framework from OpenBSD to FreeBSD.
All of the things that were planned to be ported from OpenBSD base system to FreeBSD have now been ported.
The userland part of the framework is entirely source-code compatible with OpenBSD. For example, you can take OpenBSD's stock sensorsd(8), and it'll compile and work on FreeBSD with no modifications.
The framework is quite self-contained, so I think it is a safe bet to at least try to get it into the tree even at this point, when the code freeze is taking place in preparation for RELENG_7 branching.
Therefore, I hereby request that this patch be considered for immediate inclusion into FreeBSD's main CVS repository.
The complete CVS patch is available from:
For backup purposes, a copy of this CVS patch is also available in my perforce branch, although it has tainted $P4$ tags in individual files, so use perforce as a last resort:
Exact details on how to apply and test the patch are available in my LiveJournal, along with certain other comments:
If you have an Intel Core 2 processor, or a Winbond or ITE Tech Super I/O chip on your board, then please test and report back on how your tests went.
Constantine Aleksandrovich Murenin,
Google Summer of Code 2007 Student @ The FreeBSD Project. ;)
On 13/09/2007 19:02, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
Change 126384 by cnst@dale on 2007/09/13 23:01:55
On this 256th day of 2007, it is my great pleasure to
present a feature-complete port of the hardware sensors
framework from OpenBSD to FreeBSD.
Below is a complete `cvs diff` of cnst-sensors GSoC2007
project as of 2007-256.
It includes the following components, listed below in
the very same order as they are appearing in this diff:
* sample configuration file for sensorsd
* rc(8) script and glue code for sensorsd(8)
* sysctl(3) doc fixes for CTL_HW tree
* sysctl(3) documentation for hardware sensors
* sysctl(8) documentation for hardware sensors
* assorted KNF and bug-fixes for sysctl(8)
* support for the sensor structure for sysctl(8)
* coretemp(4) documentation
* it(4) documentation
* lm(4) documentation
* rc.conf(5) documentation for starting sensorsd(8)
* sensor_attach(9) et al documentation
* coretemp(4) conversion to the hw.sensors framework
* it(4) isa driver ported from OpenBSD
* lm(4) isa driver ported from OpenBSD
o sensor_attach(9) API for drivers to register ksensors
o sensor_task_register(9) API for the update task
o sysctl(3) glue code
o hw.sensors shadow tree for sysctl(8) internal magic
* assorted KNF and bug-fixes for /sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c
* it(4) module for testing sensor_attach/detach et al
* lm(4) module for testing sensor_attach/detach et al
* assorted bug-fixes and HW_SENSORS definition for <sys/sysctl.h>
* sensors display for systat(1), including all documentation
* sensorsd(8) and all applicable documentation
The userland part of the framework is entirely source-code
compatible with OpenBSD 4.1, 4.2 and -current as of today.
All sensor readings can be viewed with `sysctl hw.sensors`,
monitored in semi-realtime with `systat -sensors` and also
logged with `sensorsd`. Third-party tools, for example a
plug-in for nagios, are also available. A separate patch
for ports/sysutils/symon will be provided upon request.
Submitted by: cnst@xxxxxxxxxxx (Constantine A. Murenin)
Obtained from: generated by sensors.cvsdiff.sh from
Sponsored by: Google Summer of Code 2007
Obtained from: http://mojo.ru/us/GSoC2007.cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch.gz
Details at: http://cnst.livejournal.com/38421.html
Affected files ...
.. //depot/projects/soc2007/cnst-sensors/cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch#1 add
freebsd-current@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx"
- Prev by Date: hang on startx with nvidia / also with emu10kx
- Next by Date: Re: Kernel Locks During Device Probe on 7.0 Current
- Previous by thread: hang on startx with nvidia / also with emu10kx
- Next by thread: Re: GSoC2007: cnst-sensors.2007-09-13.patch