Re: viral license free fork of freebsd

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
I am intrested in putting together a version of FreeBSD (at least the
non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not
techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... where would be a
good starting point on this project?

I think all the BSDs are pushing to remove GPL utilities from the base system but it takes time to do that. It may even surprise you that NetBSD and OpenBSD are trying to replace gcc with pcc (BSDL C compiler). Anyways, why not write or improve BSDL equivalent utilities to replace their GPL counterparts rather than creating a fork?

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay

  • Re: CarrierIQ Software and Forth
    ... That's exactly what the GPL is. ... It is a viral license indeed that's a very apt description. ... It's viral and it's malware. ... the GPL doesn't give anyone rights. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: viral license free fork of freebsd
    ... non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not ... techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: viral license free fork of freebsd
    ... non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not ... techinically viral but I don't trust it]) free... ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: viral license free fork of freebsd
    ... non-ports portion) that is 100% viral license (gpl and lgpl [not ... I think all the BSDs are pushing to remove GPL utilities from the base ... why not write or improve BSDL equivalent utilities ... to replace their GPL counterparts rather than creating a fork? ...
    (freebsd-current)