Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

On 2007-11-06 02:56, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2. The only difference between different hardware is the
implications of sw issues... for example I get timeouts but no
infinite cycle when booting from cd

ACK - and developers of software very seldom have access to even the
tiniest fraction of the hardware that the community at large have
their hands on.

And that is why I volunteered to help out but it seems they prefer for
me to just send various diag dumps so neither of us has any grounds
for complaint here I think.

That's the way a lot of FreeBSD developers work. It may look 'flawed'
and 'wrong', but there are probably a fair number of reasons why this is
their preferred 'mode of operation'. For example, they may not have web
access at all times. An email with a lot of useful information in the
form of a logfile is available when 'offline' too. A wiki is not.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use your favorite means of collecting
information from these threads (i.e. the wiki), but it is important to
realize that it's *not* easier or more useful than the mailing lists;
what is *can* be is another source of information, a complementary
resource :)

  • Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up
    ... but there are probably a fair number of reasons why this is ... An email with a lot of useful information in the ... A wiki is not. ... realize that it's *not* easier or more useful than the mailing lists; ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up
    ... An email with a lot of useful information in the ... A wiki is not. ... realize that it's *not* easier or more useful than the mailing lists; ... I can do all manner of complex searches on those when offline, and they are more specific than a full online 'google'. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: To the Armchair Directors
    ... users to get to talk directly to the developers. ... thick skin to do well on these mailing lists, ... Someone who is sufficiently trusted (a committer) comes up with ... so let's say you're not a programmer. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Yap sometimes hangs making fonts
    ... generally, not mailing lists and not MiKTeX, whose Web site ... about a bug in Yap and your inability to get it fixed. ... connection to USENET than it used to be. ... MikTeX developers then you are having the wrong conversation. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: 2.6.24 regression: Wake On Lan in sky2 broken on Mac mini
    ... mailing lists, and it is also a fact that many developers _only_ read ... i'm not worried about that aspect: those developers either write perfect ... testers and users more actively by reading lkml and responding there. ... upstream maintainers not getting a full ...
    (Linux-Kernel)