Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Wiki for discussing P35/IHC9(R)/SATA issues set up

On 2007-11-06 02:56, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2. The only difference between different hardware is the
implications of sw issues... for example I get timeouts but no
infinite cycle when booting from cd

ACK - and developers of software very seldom have access to even the
tiniest fraction of the hardware that the community at large have
their hands on.

And that is why I volunteered to help out but it seems they prefer for
me to just send various diag dumps so neither of us has any grounds
for complaint here I think.

That's the way a lot of FreeBSD developers work. It may look 'flawed'
and 'wrong', but there are probably a fair number of reasons why this is
their preferred 'mode of operation'. For example, they may not have web
access at all times. An email with a lot of useful information in the
form of a logfile is available when 'offline' too. A wiki is not.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use your favorite means of collecting
information from these threads (i.e. the wiki), but it is important to
realize that it's *not* easier or more useful than the mailing lists;
what is *can* be is another source of information, a complementary
resource :)