csh core dumping 7.0-rc1

After rebooting a FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 server I noticed I could not login
as root either via ssh or su, I initially thought I forgot my password
but soon noticed that csh was crashing. After reading advice its
always safe to keep the default shell for root user I have kept it on
all my servers but now this supposedbly safe option has prevented me
from logging in.

Luckily I had enabled root login (via keys) on sshd and added my ssh
key to the root .ssh dir and then logged in as toor over ssh which was
using /bin/sh.

I have gone through rebuilding world, I am not using any unsafe flags
in /etc/make.conf in fact using default compile flags but after all
this when running csh it core dumps.

~ # csh
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

however /rescue/csh works.

I ran ldd to check what its compiled against.

# ldd /bin/csh
/bin/csh:
libncurses.so.7 => /lib/libncurses.so.7 (0x280c5000)
libcrypt.so.4 => /lib/libcrypt.so.4 (0x28108000)
libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x28121000)

all the above 3 files exist.

the rescue binary is static.

1 - Is the rescue csh version the same as the one in the base system
with the only difference its statically compiled?

2 - Is it safe and a workaround to copy the /rescue/csh to /bin/csh?

3 - Is this a known problem? if not I can do a PR as this is
potentially a serious issue if I had no backdoor way in setup with
toor I would have been locked out of a remote server with the
situation of having to pay a premium for a kvm to get myself back in.

not sure if using gbd properly but I ran it and see this.

This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging
symbols found)...
Core was generated by `csh'.
Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.7...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libncurses.so.7
Reading symbols from /lib/libcrypt.so.4...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libcrypt.so.4
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.7...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.7
Reading symbols from /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()

bt shows this

#0 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1 0x08057c65 in ?? ()
#2 0x281f7b08 in in6addr_linklocal_allnodes () from /lib/libc.so.7
#3 0x0808c120 in ?? ()
#4 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#5 0x0808c120 in ?? ()
#6 0xbfbfed20 in ?? ()
#7 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#8 0xbfbfecd8 in ?? ()
#9 0x0804bf7a in ?? ()
#10 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#11 0x0808c0c5 in ?? ()
#12 0xbfbfeb48 in ?? ()
#13 0x280988a6 in dlopen () from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

Chris

  • [Solution]Re: problem with remote login
    ... ssh from another server with public key identification ... root ... [Feb 12 17:49:32 Executing start method ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: SSH / permissions problem
    ... I've got F13 on my laptop, and also on a new virtual server. ... If I ssh to root on the new server everything is fine, but if I ssh to my user ... I have carefully separated my .bash_profile and .bashrc file into those ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: csh core dumping 7.0-rc1
    ... as root either via ssh or su, I initially thought I forgot my password ... Luckily I had enabled root login on sshd and added my ssh ... Reading symbols from /lib/libncurses.so.7......done. ... Loaded symbols for /lib/libncurses.so.7 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • RE: Dead SSH Connections from script
    ... >> dead SSH connections around, ... root on one machine to access all other machines thru SSH as root. ... we have told all the client machines that our server is an ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: PubkeyAuth disallowed for root only?
    ... On two of our RedHat EL4 Update 4 servers root cannot login via ssh using public keys. ... if you either run sshd in debug mode or increase LogLevel in sshd_config then the server will provide more information about why the authentication was denied. ...
    (SSH)