Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

----- Original Message ----- From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Svein Skogen (List Mail Account)" <svein-listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freebsd-current@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:23:24AM +0100, Svein Skogen (List Mail Account) wrote:
Christoph Mallon wrote:
> O. Hartmann schrieb:
>> When will gcc 4.3 incorporated in FreeBSD 8 and become the standard
>> compiler suite? We figured out that gcc 4.3 does have a speed gain in
>> some numerical code of 3 - 8 % and I guess we can use this in the >> basic
>> OS as well ...
>
> Number crunching has a totally different execution profile than basic
> operating system services. Gains in one area cannot simply be
> transferred to the other.

Would it be possible, as a "workaround" to have "system-CC" and
"ports-CC" defined in make.conf, making one CC the compiler for /usr/src
and another for ports, or would this just create debugging nightmares?

Why do you think you don't have this today?

Install /usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43. It lives nicely beside the base
compiler. Anytime you want to use it - set 'CC' to 'gcc43'.

I know this is a different issue, and being hashed in another thread, but this is exactly what I did. However, with an older version of binutils installed, I didnt get the advantage of being able to use SSE4.1 on my machine. I made from the sources binutils, but it was a real pain to get the /usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43 port to pick up the presence of the newer version of binutils. I had to make simlinks for various directories and every time they changed the port it would klobber the links. It became ickey!

Peg