Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

----- Original Message ----- From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Svein Skogen (List Mail Account)" <svein-listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freebsd-current@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:23:24AM +0100, Svein Skogen (List Mail Account) wrote:
Christoph Mallon wrote:
> O. Hartmann schrieb:
>> When will gcc 4.3 incorporated in FreeBSD 8 and become the standard
>> compiler suite? We figured out that gcc 4.3 does have a speed gain in
>> some numerical code of 3 - 8 % and I guess we can use this in the >> basic
>> OS as well ...
>
> Number crunching has a totally different execution profile than basic
> operating system services. Gains in one area cannot simply be
> transferred to the other.

Would it be possible, as a "workaround" to have "system-CC" and
"ports-CC" defined in make.conf, making one CC the compiler for /usr/src
and another for ports, or would this just create debugging nightmares?

Why do you think you don't have this today?

Install /usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43. It lives nicely beside the base
compiler. Anytime you want to use it - set 'CC' to 'gcc43'.

I know this is a different issue, and being hashed in another thread, but this is exactly what I did. However, with an older version of binutils installed, I didnt get the advantage of being able to use SSE4.1 on my machine. I made from the sources binutils, but it was a real pain to get the /usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43 port to pick up the presence of the newer version of binutils. I had to make simlinks for various directories and every time they changed the port it would klobber the links. It became ickey!

Peg

  • Re: GCC for VMS, was: Re: fortran compiler roadmap?
    ... compiler to build binutils in VMS hosted mode. ... near the rewritten gcc 4.8 until it's had a few versions to settle. ... the Linux cross compiler to build binutils as VMS hosted executables. ... used to build the DEC C sharable image when using the stat struct. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Problem building djgpp cross compiler
    ... I downloaded the latest snapshot from the GCC 4.3 series and was able to build the compiler with the instructions below. ... The directory structure containing my cross compiling files is /db/xlocal. ... I've unpacked the binutils and gcc source files into /db directory, and created binutils-djgpp and gcc-djgpp for building. ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)
  • Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?
    ... Subject: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler? ... I'd rather have llvm instead... ... I can compile GCC from the ports or download the sources and compile it there, but it seems to get really icky if you have two versions of binutils installed. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)
    ... How hard would it be to add binutils as a port and make the gcc 4.x ports dependent on it? ... This way you can install gcc 4.3 with the assembler and linker that play nice together during the build? ... I suppose you would need to install a binary port of the compiler before you could build a more recent tool-chain. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Whats the story with the "end of XP"?
    ... Support gives them access to the larger body ... The same compiler suite may be "best" in both ... In the case of ByteCraft compilers, you are truly expert in your field, you work closely and rapidly with customers if there are any issues, and you have top class testing and quality control. ... understanding the inner workings of a relatively simple compiler like GCC ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)