Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standardcompiler?)

I dont know clang, llvm, pcc, etc. very well, but.. Would this solve our
problem where we will still need an assembler, linker, archiver, et al?

1) clang and llvm are not two choices :) it's one

2) llvm uses special "bytecode" that gets compiled into native machine
code so technically speaking "classic" assembler is not needed for llvm/clang.

the chain with clang is: clang -> llvm bc -> native binary

you can get the (human readable) assembler if you want to (I think) but it's
not necessary

the same goes with linker etc.

  • Re: PIC Assembler.
    ... Imagine the simplest linker case. ... The assembler is ... these notes and modify this initially blank sheet. ... bytes and writes these as type strings into the OBJ file. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: PIC Assembler.
    ... Imagine the simplest linker case. ... The assembler is ... these notes and modify this initially blank sheet. ... bytes and writes these as type strings into the OBJ file. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: C- Syntax to allocate Global variables to consecutive memory locations
    ... define link-time constants. ... it depends upon the linker to provide ... c is where the compiler generates a definition of ... In the assembly language case I mentioned, the assembler is perfectly ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: C# programmer wants to learn assembly?? plz help
    ... I don't refuse to use a linker. ... import WriteFile kernel32.dll ... the assembler source file into the executable output file. ... for Linux I most certainly would use one of the HL tool kits and ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: 2500AD Z80 Tools Rev 3.00d for CP/M available
    ... Linker tools for CP/M to CP/M-centric websites. ... CP/M 2.2 system and common emulators (requires a Z80 cpu). ... it will be nearly impossible to use the assembler! ...
    (comp.os.cpm)