Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standardcompiler?)

I dont know clang, llvm, pcc, etc. very well, but.. Would this solve our
problem where we will still need an assembler, linker, archiver, et al?

1) clang and llvm are not two choices :) it's one

2) llvm uses special "bytecode" that gets compiled into native machine
code so technically speaking "classic" assembler is not needed for llvm/clang.

the chain with clang is: clang -> llvm bc -> native binary

you can get the (human readable) assembler if you want to (I think) but it's
not necessary

the same goes with linker etc.