Re: [TESTING]: ClangBSD branch needs testing before the import to HEAD

On Mon, 31 May 2010 06:11:32 -0500
Astrodog <astrodog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I understand the build process correctly, it should be possible to
have both compilers in base for some (presumably short) period of
time... then just have which one you use be a configuration option,
which should give LLVM/clang some additional exposure, without the
obvious risks of a complete switch. It should be relatively simply to
have "clang as a compile time option in base" then "clang as default
with gcc as an option" then "clang only", as it proves itself out
building the tree.

From previous messages I don't think sparc64 is currently supported by
clang very well, if at all, so I think we'll still need gcc in the base
system for some time.

--
Bruce Cran

  • Re: GCC withdraw
    ... I expect that platforms that don't have support from clang or some ... SPARC64, then either gcc from ports as an external toolchain, or finishing ... standard and not using any extension of the used compilers (if there are ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: More kernel performance tests on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
    ... kernels compiled with different compilers, ... GENERIC kernels compiled with clang 3.2 are again ... a little faster than those compiled with gcc 4.2.1. ... problems with floating point. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: More kernel performance tests on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
    ... kernels compiled with different compilers, ... GENERIC kernels compiled with clang 3.2 are again ... a little faster than those compiled with gcc 4.2.1. ... and in system time the difference is even larger, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: GCC withdraw
    ... Would it be feasible to install GCC as "gcc42" or something ... GCC and Clang are COMPILERS. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: GSoC: Making ports work with clang
    ... ported to freebsd and compiled with clang work". ... Being able to decouple base and port compilers, ...
    (freebsd-hackers)