[SPAM] Re: Error message while updating src for FreeBSD 9 current

On 2010-09-23 13:21, Ralph Ellis wrote:
Niclas Zeising wrote:
On 2010-09-23 04:29, Ralph Ellis wrote:
Hi,
I recently upgraded my FreeBSD 8.1 installation to FreeBSD 9 current via
buildworld and buildkernel. I was able to one general ports, src and doc
update by cvsup but now I am getting the following error message when I
do a src update.

cvsup srcsupfile
Connected to cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
Updating collection src-all/cvs
Edit src/bin/ps/extern.h
Illegal instruction

I am new to the mailing list. Is this a known error?
Is this an error to do with the source tree or an issue on my end?

Just for reference, the contents of my supfile are

*default tag=.
*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/var/db
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all
ports-all
doc-all

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Ralph Ellis
ralphellis1@xxxxxxxxxxx

Are you using cvsup or csup? Have you recompiled cvsup in case you use
that? What's in your make.conf file?
Illegal instruction is usually because the program is compiled for
another CPU than what it's running on. It can also be that syscalls
has changed, but then it usually complains about that.
When doing a major version upgrade, you usually have to recompile all
ports.
Hope this helps!
//Niclas

I am using cvsup. I had recompiled my VirtualBox port but I had not
finished recompiling the other major ports. Thanks for the suggestion.
My make.conf is deliberately very plain jane with no special conditions
or comments.
Thanks
Ralph Ellis
ralphellis1@xxxxxxxxxxx

Try to recompile everything, or at least cvsup, and see if it works.
//Niclas

  • Re: Does running ``# portupgrade -arRp prompt for options or updates everything without prompts
    ... On servers for example, I upgrade ... then rebuild the ports (after ... one of the famous FreeBSD live system ... # freebsd-update install ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Upgrading very old installation
    ... FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p8 i386 i386 ... 6.x to 8.x upgrade. ... and mergemaster after the update then I rebuilt all the ports. ... lang/php can be php v4, 5.2 or 5.3 depending on what version of the os you ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Error message while updating src for FreeBSD 9 current
    ... On 2010-09-23 04:29, Ralph Ellis wrote: ... I recently upgraded my FreeBSD 8.1 installation to FreeBSD 9 current via ... update by cvsup but now I am getting the following error message when I ... When doing a major version upgrade, you usually have to recompile all ports. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Is nvidia-driver 256.53 expected to work on -current?
    ... Ralph Ellis wrote: ... FreeBSD. ... Yesterday I started configuring stuff, updated my source and ports ... with the nvidia driver) work great on this ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Make Question
    ... I have inherited an old FreeBSD 5.1 machine. ... I needed to upgrade the perl/openssh/openssl implementation on ... So then I thought to csup the ports tree ... and try with a new version, that fails as well. ...
    (freebsd-questions)