Re: Profiling code execution on amd64?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Steve Kargl
<sgk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 03:40:46PM -0500, George Neville-Neil wrote:

On Jan 13, 2011, at 23:05 , Steve Kargl wrote:

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:08:30PM -0500, Ryan Stone wrote:
I would suggest using hwpmc for profiling:

# kldload hwpmc
# pmcstat -S unhalted-cycles -O /tmp/samples.out ../penetration
# pmcstat -R /tmp/samples.out -G /tmp/penetration.txt

You can also get pmcstat to generate gprof-compatible output with -g,
but I never use the mode so I'm really not sure what it gives you.  I
think that you have to run gprof on the output or something, but don't
hold me to that.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try, but my initial attempt seems to
indicate that one needs to be root to use hwpmc.

laptop:kargl[210] pmcstat -S unhalted-cycles -O /tmp/samples.out ../penetration
pmcstat: ERROR: Cannot allocate system-mode pmc with specification
"unhalted-cycles": Operation not permitted

You only need to be root to profile the kernel or someone else's process..

This tutorial might help:

www.dcbsdcon.org/speakers/slides/neville-neil_dcbsdcon2009.pdf

Thanks.  I'll look at the tutorial.  Meanwhile, should gprof
be removed from the base system because it appears broken?

Instead of just removing things, why not determine why things are
broken and try to fix them?
-Garrett

  • Re: Profiling code execution on amd64?
    ... You can also get pmcstat to generate gprof-compatible output with -g, ... pmcstat: ERROR: Cannot allocate system-mode pmc with specification ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Profiling code execution on amd64?
    ... You can also get pmcstat to generate gprof-compatible output with -g, ... You only need to be root to profile the kernel or someone else's process. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Profiling code execution on amd64?
    ... You can also get pmcstat to generate gprof-compatible output with -g, ... pmcstat: ERROR: Cannot allocate system-mode pmc with specification ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Profiling code execution on amd64?
    ... I would suggest using hwpmc for profiling: ... You can also get pmcstat to generate gprof-compatible output with -g, ...
    (freebsd-current)