Re: no X after installing xorg + xfce

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Michal Varga <varga.michal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 07:01 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
I've skimmed the thread, (apologies if I've missed it), but I haven't
yet seen your Xorg log or your config file. Almost every graphics card
should work with VESA at a minimum.

I have no Xorg.conf file as it is not needed anymore.  I tried to rebuild it,
# Xorg -configure

xorg.conf isn't "needed" in case you wish to rely purely on xorg's and
HAL's autodetection (this is a perfectly bad idea), and if you do not
need to change any single xorg option from defaults (this would be very
strange in my book).

There are tons of manuals on the Internet detailing how to write a
proper xorg configuration file (it even has its own man page - man
xorg.conf) and as with any properly configured software - it pays off.

process hangs and returns colors on the screen :(

Autodetection blows. You will have to write your configuration manually.

I can't attach Xorg.0.log, I know which driver to use, as I have X
working correctly with Linux(Slackware) on that same machine[another
hard drive].  It is just that I have no way of saving logs or posting
information without taking a picture, I would to put all doubts away.

Honestly, I really don't understand the "I can't attach Xorg.log"
wording.

It's a physical log file, just a regular file. How is it that you cannot
copy it from the particular machine/hard drive/filesystem and put it
someplace on the Internet, or paste the relevant parts inline in one of
the emails?

As of know I will rebuild world, install new kernel remove all ports
and start from scratch.  If I can't get it to work with a fresh start..

There's really nothing wrong with your ports and you'll be only wasting
your time with this generic and pointless "Windows-style reinstall
everything" procedure, without actually looking at the issue itself.

The other poster(s) already told you. If you need any help, you will
have to provide error messages, you will have to provide error logs (and
you will have to properly configure your xorg, because as you already
noticed, autodetection clearly doesn't work the way you expect it to).

 I will wait for BETA 3 or an RC :)  I just want to help in testing,
it is that I can't supply the information as I would like to :(

I can 100% guarantee that BETA3 nor RC won't change anything in regard
to the issue you're experiencing. Your problem lies elsewhere and you
didn't even start systematically investigating it.

   Newb hacker tip number one: try CTRL-ALT-F1 when you get the
technicolor screen. If your system isn't hosed then you'll get the
first tty.

I do know this, before it was CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE and now it is
CTRL + ALT + F1 :) I am not exactly a ``newbie'' but I am not an
``expert'' as I am still learning :)

system was not hosed, 'nv' driver was not getting it done :( It is
old and unmaintained anymore.

   The only time I can think of where /var/log/Xorg.0.log wouldn't be
populated with something useful is if the kernel module livelocks
talking to the card and/or fsck takes out the file on the next reboot
because it was in use.
   And yes Michal is right, IIRC. 64-bit drivers didn't exist on that version.
   Just try this file and get back to us please with something more
useful than "it doesn't work". Otherwise we can't help you .
-Garrett

Garrett & all,

I have X working :) Used nvidia-driver, as specified in FreeBSD howto
(handbook page). changed 'nv' to 'nvidia', added nvidia_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf and now X works. I am loading more software that is
needed and I will post back from that machine. I followed
instructions here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

I ran makeworld and it did make ``a world of a difference'' and now i
have X. I am compiling openjdk on it and I will build more software
that is needed for work.

Thanks to all for helping.

Regards,

Antonio