Re: gcc bug? Openoffice port impossibel to compile on 4.8

From: Wes Peters (wes_at_softweyr.com)
Date: 05/24/03

    To: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
    Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:40:30 -0700

    On Thursday 22 May 2003 10:23 am, Julian Elischer wrote:
    > I have rebuilt my system several times and rebuilt all ports..
    > /usr/ports/editors/openoffice always ends up with:

    GCC 3.2 is broken by design. It insists, amongst other stupidities, on
    type-checking arguments using old style declarations like:

            int foo(bar)
            char *bar;
            {}

    rendering most UNIX software from before 1996 uncompilable. This is
    biting one of my ports, I can't figure out how to shut the fscking thing
    up, and am pretty much beyond caring. The Powers That Be in GCC-land
    seem to have decided for us the world doesn't need any stinking
    20-year-old software.

    --
            Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
    Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com