Re: gcc bug? Openoffice port impossibel to compile on 4.8

From: Wes Peters (wes_at_softweyr.com)
Date: 05/24/03

    To: Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
    Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:40:30 -0700

    On Thursday 22 May 2003 10:23 am, Julian Elischer wrote:
    > I have rebuilt my system several times and rebuilt all ports..
    > /usr/ports/editors/openoffice always ends up with:

    GCC 3.2 is broken by design. It insists, amongst other stupidities, on
    type-checking arguments using old style declarations like:

            int foo(bar)
            char *bar;
            {}

    rendering most UNIX software from before 1996 uncompilable. This is
    biting one of my ports, I can't figure out how to shut the fscking thing
    up, and am pretty much beyond caring. The Powers That Be in GCC-land
    seem to have decided for us the world doesn't need any stinking
    20-year-old software.

    --
            Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
    Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com

    • Re: Bizarre behaviour of Linux binary under 7.1
      ... Bizarrely, however, if I instead invoke B and request its output go to ... Interestingly, if I rewrote my wrapper script to, ... The other approach is to use portupgrade to force all ports to be rebuilt linked against 7.x libs. ... One thing to watch out for is if you're not careful it is possible for some ports in a dependency chain to not be rebuilt and still linked against 6.x and some do get rebuilt linked against the new 7.x libs. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: system state after freebsd-update and before portugprade -af
      ... I have a system with 750+ ports, I guess the portupgrade -af will take ... Will applications (webserver, print server, X server, and the many other ... bounce apache until all of the php5 and pecl modules have been rebuilt. ... probably best to arrange enough downtime to do the upgrade ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: # portmaster -r pixman fails with !#/bin/sh list too long
      ... the other ports that depend on it don't get rebuilt:( ... You can always recover by removing some of the ports and reinstalling ... from using portmaster on everything. ... Have tried that, but it rebuilds pixman, but then X bombs out blurting ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: FreeBSD 9-Stable + Atom D510 Freeze
      ... SSD and loaded a fresh copy of a FreeBSD 9 Snapshot. ... source and ports tarballs, I used svnup to bring both up to date. ... Subversion and Tshark more often than others. ... different version and all of the source was rebuilt monthly. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • high-pitched tone from pc speaker
      ... I recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a server at work. ... installed an updated world and installed a few ports. ... rebuilt the kernel to support dual processors. ...
      (freebsd-questions)