Re: hacking SCO....

From: Doug Russell (drussell_at_saturn-tech.com)
Date: 09/27/04

    Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:25:09 -0600 (MDT)
    To: John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>

    Oh, I love replying to my own posts.... :)

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Doug Russell wrote:

    > Try adding conv=sync,noerror to your dd line. If most of the data
    > after the defect(s) can be read, you'll end up with an almost complete
    > partition which will likely run. You can then fsck and restore from tape.
    >
    > for example,
    >
    > dd if=/dev/daX of=/dev/daY conv=sync,noerror bs=128k

    Actually, remove the bs=128k from above (force of habit). When you're
    trying to recover a disk like this, you want the block size to be single
    sectors (bs=512, the default) so you get every sector that is readable.

    It's slower, but it'll get you a more complete copy if it only skips 1
    sector on an error instead of 256. :)

    If you know the defects are only in a certain range, you can get creative
    with the skip directives to dd and copy most of the disk in larger
    blocks, and go back and do the bad part one sector at a time (very handy
    when recovering today's large IDE disks).

    See the dd(1) manpage for more info.

    Later...... <Doug>

    • Re: SortMerge avoids thrashing (was: Baileys "two pass" FFT algorithm question)
      ... of size that match the backing store to assure locality of reference. ... For RAM backed by disk, the key thing which takes the most time is ... you need to localize sector reads within that one ... Sweeps your RAM once when you load original data from disk. ...
      (comp.programming)
    • Re: XP Pro Recovery Errors
      ... it turns out that the boot sector, sector 0, of my HDD failed to "read, write, or remove write-protection." ... Hard drives, when they have a problem with a sector, mark it as "pending". ... So if you do something to write to the disk, and write sector zero, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: FUD about CGD and GBDE
      ... > a sector that has been rewritten. ... zone, otherwise it would expose the remaining sectors is the zone. ... contents and regular data written to the disk by the user. ... > possible to determine this fairly quickly using traffic analysis. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: replacing directory with "last good" on Windows XP non-boot data harddisk
      ... When a physical sector of the disk is read by an ... application and a sector is ... then Windows logs Event ID 11." ... I downloaded, but not installed yet, SeaTools For Windows and ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re[2]: [Full-Disclosure] Erasing a hard disk easily
      ... Let's say you use the standard windows format utility that only ... If you use a low level format or some other disk formating utility it would ... I fix the arm motor only so we could recover the data was like ... > wherever you looked with a sector editor. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)