Re: Resuming from a crashdump

takawata_at_jp.freebsd.org
Date: 01/25/05

    To: Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>
    Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:19:40 +0900

    In message <86pszu639o.fsf@borg.borderworlds.dk>, Christian Laursen wrote:
    >I was thinking about software suspend and got this crazy idea.

    Not so crazy Idea.

    >I have no idea if this is possible or total madness but here
    >goes anyway.
    >
    >The idea would be to force the system to "crash" and make a
    >dump on a dedicated partition. On boot after initializing devices
    >but before mounting /, the kernel would check that partition and
    >if it found a dump there restore it to the machine's memory,
    >reinitialize devices and continue where it left off.
    >
    >Any thoughts? Could this be done or would an entirely different
    >approach be better?

    OS-initiated ACPI S4 sleep may be implemented in the way like this.

    • Resuming from a crashdump
      ... I have no idea if this is possible or total madness but here ... dump on a dedicated partition. ... On boot after initializing devices ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Resuming from a crashdump
      ... > dump on a dedicated partition. ... On boot after initializing devices ... that I could quickly change OSes yet still have my X seesion up with all ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Resuming from a crashdump
      ... >dump on a dedicated partition. ... fired in the intervening period? ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Debug feature request
      ... Sometimes i feel debugin was made for "Hello Crazy World!" ... loop of i, loop 1 of y... ... when a exception happend for ?: ... Dump of local vars... ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: A plea for help from a love lorn Indian
      ... Don't be crazy. ... Once they get into the USA, they will dump you for someone else and ... take your hard earned money with them in a divorce. ... She is from Romania ...
      (soc.culture.indian)