Re: running freebsd in qemu using the "-nographic" option ?

From: Julian Elischer (julian_at_elischer.org)
Date: 03/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:54:15 -0800
    To: Aziz KEZZOU <opensource.enthousiat@gmail.com>

    Aziz KEZZOU wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I am running freebsd 5.3 under qemu (a fast IA32 emulator). My host
    >system is linux. Everything works fine, but I want to get rid of this
    >small non-scrollable window, not practical when gcc says I made many
    >many errors :-)...

    you can scroll it after hittong tthe "scroll lock" key

    >Instead I want to get a console. In qemu's documentation it says :
    >`-nographic'
    > Normally, QEMU uses SDL to display the VGA output. With this
    >option, you can totally disable graphical output so that QEMU is a
    >simple command line application. The emulated serial port is
    >redirected on the console. Therefore, you can still use QEMU to debug
    >a Linux kernel with a serial console.
    >
    >So basically what I need is, some how, to tell the freebsd kernel to
    >forward its output/input to a serial port. In linux this is done by
    >supplying the parameter "console=ttyS0". Is there something equivalent
    >in FreeBSD ?

    in /boot/loader.conf add:

    console="comconsole"

    that should do it..

    >Thanks for your help,
    >Aziz

    • Re: Linux "print server"
      ... porting Ghostscrip to a C64 is ... so a Linux server seemed possible. ... "> I already have TCP/IP communication using ppp between the C64 and the ... "> DTP app I use can send data to a serial port, ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Why to up/not grade to/from W98 (was: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released)
      ... whos primary function was to read ... and reading BOT/EOT markers and the raw MFM. ... On serial better is to use a micro (cheap 2 $ PIC has serial port). ... Linux, why sell yourself out to Bill Gates? ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: minicom questions, need expert
      ... I do not know if the minicom utility can reach out into that FT232RL to ... then what linux utility can perform this initialization? ... It turned out that the serial port params on the legacy machine ... Do I need to train my src machine to send some sort of an eof signal? ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Flow Control on Serial Device
      ... Are you using the exact same cable for the Linux system that you ... indeed a straight through cable? ... Then CTS and RTS are ... properly configure your serial port, ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • FTDI usb-serial possible bug
      ... It describes a nasty behavior of the ftdi usb-serial linux driver. ... in bash and in python. ... The same test performed on a real serial port receiving continuous ... does not yield to any corruption problem. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)