Re: Kernel documentation and specification

From: Giorgos Keramidas (keramida_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 03/24/05

    Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:32:39 +0200
    To: Marius N?nnerich <marius.nuennerich@gmx.net>

    On 2005-03-24 13:22, Marius N?nnerich <marius.nuennerich@gmx.net> wrote:
    >On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:17:56 +0200
    >Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> The book is absolutely fabulous! Watch out for the details though and
    >> keep in mind that you many find it nice to have a FreeBSD source tree
    >> nearby, just for the fun of browsing the source itself too while you
    >> read.
    >
    > Is there much difference to "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD
    > Operating System"? I have already read that, and don't know if the new
    > book is just the same with a few parts updated?

    The 4.4BSD edition was written for 4.4BSD. It still has some value for
    people who are interested in the design & implementation details of that
    system. A lot has changed in the FreeBSD codebase since then, though.

    So, yes, there are differences.

    • Re: A quality operating system
      ... I told him I was considering FreeBSD because of greater stability and security. ... In his view, and now mine, a quality operating system is reliable, ... They reduce a community to hobbyists only. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • SV: A quality operating system
      ... Ron is completely pro-Linux and pro-Windows, and against FreeBSD. ... In his view, and now mine, a quality operating system is reliable, ... They reduce a community to hobbyists only. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD
      ... compete against in developing Swift Linux. ... FreeBSD is first and foremost a server OS. ... Business of an operating system is to manage the resources of the computer ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Global variables in system programs
      ... I work currently on a port of the FreeBSD network stack to a real-time ... statically linked with the operating system and the network stack. ... These programs use some global variables. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: A quality operating system
      ... done to concentrate documentation, e. ... I told him I was considering FreeBSD because of greater stability and security. ... In his view, and now mine, a quality operating system is reliable, ... They reduce a community to hobbyists only. ...
      (freebsd-questions)