FreeBSD Network Implementation Question

From: Rob (capveg_at_cs.umd.edu)
Date: 04/21/05

    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:47:26 -0400
    To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

    [applogies if this is in a FAQ somewhere... I've looked in a number of places, and
    am not able to find the answer]

    Hi,

    I am trying to figure out how large a specific buffer is in FreeBSD.
    The buffer in question is the buffer between the network layer and the
    ethernet device, i.e., if packets are being passed down the network
    stack from tcp faster than the hardware can handle them, at what point
    do packets start getting dropped locally?

    I believe the answer is:

    % sysctl -a
    [snip]
     net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen: 50

    But try as I might, I can't find the documentation of the variable to
    confirm it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks,

    - Rob

    • Re: FreeBSD Network Implementation Question
      ... > I am trying to figure out how large a specific buffer is in FreeBSD. ... > The buffer in question is the buffer between the network layer and the ... > ethernet device, i.e., if packets are being passed down the network ... However at that moment TCP flow control ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Updating our TCP and socket sysctl values...
      ... remove the buffer bloat issue for tcp transmit buffers. ... Edge routers and other routers in the infrastructure have huge ... verses having to do it for 50 packets of backlog per connection. ... colocated boxes with tons of bw, and servers running out of the house ...
      (freebsd-arch)
    • Re: In-tree version of new FireWire drivers available
      ... Just to recap, the dual buffer receive mode, as described in section ... quadlet aligned amount of header data can be appended into one buffer ... *either* the header buffer or the payload buffer fills up. ... enough to hold headers for all the packets it takes to fill up the ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Deaf CAsyncSocket on Windows Service.
      ... To read them out I need a buffer to ... Short packets at the sender are coalesced into longer packets. ... THe receiver says "I have this much buffer space" and the sender is free to send ... You get an OnReceive notification if there is input data to be read. ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: Cisco 7204VXR Interface ignored packet
      ... Input queue drops (ignored packets) are usually due to buffers not being ... The buffer defaults are good 98% of the ... 256 max cache size, 256 in cache ... 22496866 hits in cache, 0 misses in cache ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)