How to disable at-boot configuration of a network interface but permit manual use of rc.d?

From: Darren Pilgrim (dmp_at_bitfreak.org)
Date: 06/27/05

    To: <hackers@freebsd.org>
    Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:22:55 -0700

    There are some conditions to the task given by the subject:

    1: The interface must be present at boot.
    2: Use of /etc/rc.d scripts to start and stop the interface is
    desirable.

    The first condition poses no problem, just don't include the relevant
    ifconfig_ifn line in /etc/rc.conf and the interface won't be configured.
    But rc.d/dhclient and rc.d/netif won't work without an ifconfig line for
    the interface.

    Adding the ifconfig line and then listing every interface but the one I
    want configured in network_interfaces does prevent it from being
    configured at boot while having an ifconfig line in rc.conf, but if I
    try to use rc.d/netif to start the interface, rc.d/netif does nothing
    because it tests the interface against the contents of
    network_interfaces and cloned_interfaces, so the interface I left out
    will be excluded.

    Have I overlooked an option somewhere?