How to disable at-boot configuration of a network interface but permit manual use of rc.d?

From: Darren Pilgrim (dmp_at_bitfreak.org)
Date: 06/27/05

    To: <hackers@freebsd.org>
    Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:22:55 -0700

    There are some conditions to the task given by the subject:

    1: The interface must be present at boot.
    2: Use of /etc/rc.d scripts to start and stop the interface is
    desirable.

    The first condition poses no problem, just don't include the relevant
    ifconfig_ifn line in /etc/rc.conf and the interface won't be configured.
    But rc.d/dhclient and rc.d/netif won't work without an ifconfig line for
    the interface.

    Adding the ifconfig line and then listing every interface but the one I
    want configured in network_interfaces does prevent it from being
    configured at boot while having an ifconfig line in rc.conf, but if I
    try to use rc.d/netif to start the interface, rc.d/netif does nothing
    because it tests the interface against the contents of
    network_interfaces and cloned_interfaces, so the interface I left out
    will be excluded.

    Have I overlooked an option somewhere?

    • Re: AIX 1.3 Failures and Fables
      ... Found this in #man ifconfig ... " The address family default is DARPA Internet. ... Configures network interface parameters. ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
    • Re: Problem with Bridging ... and bge devices under FreeBSD 7.x?
      ... I'm trying to run a QEMU VM on top of a FreeBSD 7.x server ... ... ifconfig bridge0 destroy ... Using VNC to connect to the VM, I can look at the interface, and it says it is ... So, all I have left is that everything is being setup okay, but there is ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Problem with Bridging ... and bge devices under FreeBSD 7.x?
      ... I'm trying to run a QEMU VM on top of a FreeBSD 7.x server ... ... ifconfig bridge0 destroy ... Using VNC to connect to the VM, I can look at the interface, and it says it is ... So, all I have left is that everything is being setup okay, but there is ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"
      ... ifconfig bce0 -alias ... It turns out that this command eliminated the primary IP for the ... are running in automated scripts, ... an interface are equal, just like hardlinks on a file. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • [Summary] ifconfig & adding an IP to a live system
      ... Consensus was ifconfig on live system should work. ... interface. ... like before/after each command. ... I have a critical server that I need to add an IP to. ...
      (SunManagers)