Re: kernel hack

From: David Malone (dwmalone_at_maths.tcd.ie)
Date: 09/25/05

    Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:24:47 +0100
    To: kamal kc <kamal_ckk@yahoo.com>

    On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 03:31:51AM -0700, kamal kc wrote:
    > does anybody know what is the best way
    > to start kernel hack.

    It isn't quite clear what you mean, but presuming you mean "make
    a change to the FreeBSD kernel that you use" then:

    1) First learn how to recompile your kernel.
       You can get details from the FreeBSD handbook
       (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/).
    2) Look under /usr/src/sys for the kernel source code.
       The main bit is in /usr/src/sys/kern, networking
       lives under /usr/src/sys/net* and so on.
    3) Change the code you want and then recompie the kernel.
       Remember to keep an old kernel around incase you make
       a mistake.

            David.

    • Re: kernel source for fedora
      ... Thufir Hawat wrote: ... you're on the level, things are very strange. ... your kernel and networking and yet you don't know what an ISO image is? ... Why do you think you have to recompile, ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: relativity is like Linux
      ... >>>then you need to reconfig, recompile, etc ... I haven't compiled a kernel ... >you may use my code and programs you fool, ... >are you calling it a distro, i build my distro, you are fool, thank ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: The ext3 way of journalling
      ... may damage your filesystem; Only an FSCK can see how much of damage is ... Another typical FOSS answer. ... Compiling the Linux kernel is too painful. ... And recompile and recompile and recompile ad infinitum, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
      ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to ... Sheesh, Unruh! ... it's got decent community support. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • RE: adding new hardware
      ... I was afraid somebody was going to say this (recompile the kernel). ... stage of the installation (modprobe ndiswrapper), ... Unfortunately, the driver didn't. ...
      (RedHat)