Re: exception handling in kernel code

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:32:57 -0400
John Baldwin <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxx> mentioned:

You can make use of pcb_onfault to recover from a page fault, but that's
about it. Kernel code is expected to not generate exceptions. :)

Thanks a lot! I'll try it.

To clarify:

I've implemented driver to allow user-level code to read MSRs (Model
specific registers) (like linux's /dev/cpu/msr). It's required for
some programs like x86info.

As long as not all MSRs documented and reading/writing unexistent MSR
leads to GP fault, I need to recover in that case.

--
Stanislav Sedov MBSD labs, Inc. <ssedov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Россия, Москва http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint: F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2 A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581